Why become a member? ×

advice on semi acoustic or acoustic 5 please

tarqh

hi all, i am a newbie here. i am interested in buying an acoustic or semi acoustic 5 string, but there doesn't seem to be too much choice out there. i wondered if anyone has any recomendations or feedback etc. i want something that bridges the gap between double bass and guitar.i beleive warwick make one but only in a 4 string. also, does anyone know much about the fender victor bailey? thank you in anticipation

I had an electro-acoutic Crafter 5 String and sold it because it was impossible to intonate the B correctly as the bridge was wooden and had no adjustment. I got fed up with band members saying I was out of tune. Sounded nice but it depended on the amp it was played through, the Roland Cube was best.

[quote name='yorks5stringer' post='270845' date='Aug 27 2008, 11:03 AM']I had an electro-acoutic Crafter 5 String and sold it because it was impossible to intonate the B correctly as the bridge was wooden and had no adjustment. I got fed up with band members saying I was out of tune. Sounded nice but it depended on the amp it was played through, the Roland Cube was best.[/quote]
thanks for that, it is something t bear in mind. never thought about the wooden bridge. btw, what did you end up using?

[quote name='yorks5stringer' post='271833' date='Aug 28 2008, 03:18 PM']Went the Variax 5 string route ( see other thread!) which has quite a nice upright sound although noisegated! Moved that on when I got the Rick Turner Electroline 5 which sounds v acoustic due to piezo bridge and flatwounds but does need an amp.[/quote]
thanks again for the info. i really would like a bass i can just pick up and play, i.e acou/ semi acou as it isn't always easy to practise with an amp. i will have a good look around for a good acoustic. do you know anything about godin? thanks again

Godin stuff really good quality, although thin bodies restrict acoustic volume.
I recommend Washburn - I've had an AB20 for over 10 years with no probs - never had to set it up from new, just restring every now and then with phosphor bronze Elites or similiar! You see Washburn AB10s coming up on ebay for less than £300.
Do bear in mind that most acoustic electric basses are only really loud enough unplugged for a bit of rehearsal at home. To be heard even with unplugged 6 strings you will need a dash of amplification.

[quote name='casapete' post='274795' date='Sep 1 2008, 05:54 PM']Godin stuff really good quality, although thin bodies restrict acoustic volume.
I recommend Washburn - I've had an AB20 for over 10 years with no probs - never had to set it up from new, just restring every now and then with phosphor bronze Elites or similiar! You see Washburn AB10s coming up on ebay for less than £300.
Do bear in mind that most acoustic electric basses are only really loud enough unplugged for a bit of rehearsal at home. To be heard even with unplugged 6 strings you will need a dash of amplification.[/quote]
cheers for the info. i've googled the washburns and they look really nice, but i really need a 5 string version. i'm not worried about volume as it's just for me to practice, i will plug it in at gigs. i sold a double bass a while ago 1. i couldn'r really transport it about and 2, couldn't really play it! which is why i want something to get fairly close when amped. i might well go check a washburn out because for the cash, it looks a good deal. thanks a lot for your help, this is the sort of feedback i was hoping for. cheers guys