Why become a member? ×

Oh crap it.

Sarah5string

Adjusted my intonation and action last night only to pick it up this morning and my A string is clacking like a b*tch. On closer inspection of the bridge (a BB-265) it's got 3 adjustable bits so I'm presuming as I only adjusted 2 of the 3 somethings ballsed up somewhere and I don't know how to correct it.
HEeeeeeeeeeeelp!

There is a chance that the bridge needs to be 'locked down' once adjusted - some have a separate grub screw to tighten once everything is in place. Perhaps you left this one slack and therefore the saddles shifted over night? I would recommend setting it up again and just double checking everything is tightened up.

Cheers
ped

[quote name='dlloyd' post='270286' date='Aug 26 2008, 02:20 PM']Difficult to tell from that photo. How much distance is there between the last fret and the bottom of the string? There should be at least 2.5 mm.

What's the relief like?[/quote]
bolt straight and always has been, but never had a problem before so thinking it's more the string height. have lost my bloody ruler!

Crikey, quite a bridge!! Just adjust it again but make sure that once you have set the desired height and intonation etc that you lift the string out of the bridge, put it back in and make sure everything is tight and that both grub screws that maintain the height of the saddle are touching the base of the bridge plate.

ped

[quote name='rjb' post='270276' date='Aug 26 2008, 02:11 PM']Sounds like the string saddle is set too low - just use an alan key to raise the block.

Then check the intonation and adjust the rear screw if needed.[/quote]

Aye just raise the saddle a tad and that should sort it out.

Bit puzzled about why you have so much thread sticking up from the saddles on the 3rd and 5th stings in the top photo - cant really see on the other but it looks like those saddles are lower than the others. I would expect the saddles to follow the radius of the fingerboard (unless its flat).

[quote name='bass_ferret' post='270515' date='Aug 26 2008, 07:28 PM']Bit puzzled about why you have so much thread sticking up from the saddles on the 3rd and 5th stings in the top photo - cant really see on the other but it looks like those saddles are lower than the others. I would expect the saddles to follow the radius of the fingerboard (unless its flat).[/quote]
Probably my crap adjustments. After it's rejig this afternoon they're now not that high. The A is flush and the G is slightly raised but not as much.

[quote name='bass_ferret' post='270515' date='Aug 26 2008, 07:28 PM']Bit puzzled about why you have so much thread sticking up from the saddles on the 3rd and 5th stings in the top photo - cant really see on the other but it looks like those saddles are lower than the others. I would expect the saddles to follow the radius of the fingerboard (unless its flat).[/quote]

I know i for one prefer to have each of my strings at an individually suited height as opposed to "following the radius", For example my G is a little higher than the rest because its lighter and requires less attack - If it followed the radius id get a horrible clack from it, however i want a bit of clank from my B, E and A so their all lower.

[quote name='ste_m3' post='270785' date='Aug 27 2008, 09:29 AM']I know i for one prefer to have each of my strings at an individually suited height as opposed to "following the radius", For example my G is a little higher than the rest because its lighter and requires less attack - If it followed the radius id get a horrible clack from it, however i want a bit of clank from my B, E and A so their all lower.[/quote]
Same here. I'd rather have them at a height I find comfortable and gets no fret buzz than have them all lined up nice.. lol!

You dont follow the radius to get them lined up nice, but if they are properly set up, and you have a curved fingerboard (some are flat), then you would expect the strings in the middle to be higher (on the bridge) than the strings on the edge's, even with having a higher action on the top strings.