Why become a member? ×

Hartke HyDrive 112 - dual impedance

dincz

[color=#141414][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]I''m not cab shopping but curious anyway. Presumably this cab has a driver with dual voice-coils. So what changes when you switch impedance - apart from the impedance of course?[/font][/color]

[color=#141414][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]As the two coils can't be in the same place at the same time, the driver's characteristics/performance/sound must be different depending on the impedance setting.[/font][/color]

[color=#141414][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]More specifically, thermal power rating and, as the voice coil inductance must also be different, frequency response must be different too. Probably Xmax and various other parameters as well.[/font][/color]

[color=#141414][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Any ideas?[/font][/color][color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif] [/font][/color]

[quote name='icastle' timestamp='1433372485' post='2790626']
Is it not just a massive great resistor that is either in circuit or not?
[/quote]

I hope not. It would finish up with slightly less available volume in 4 ohm as compared to 8 ohm.

it's definitely a twin coiled driver. When using one coil you get 8 ohms and when using both in parallel you get the 4 ohm value. I've got a sub speaker for my car that configures the same way too in order to make it a 2 ohm driver as it has two 4 ohm coils. IIRC the cabinet rating is the lowest of the RMS ratings that the configurations will give you hence why there's only one value for both settings. But yes, do ask Larry - he answers his mobile too and is a top notch guy.