Why become a member? ×

Does anyone use a Source Audio EQ? - edit - I did and didn't like it!!! (JHS Colour Box Content too).

Chiliwailer

*** I tried one, see my later post of you're interested****

I'm thinking about buying a Source Audio Programmable EQ, but wonder if anyone has any experience of using them on bass? How are they?

The programmable feature draws me to it, that's an essential for why I'm looking, and they are a £100 at Thomann so I'm getting ready to pull the trigger....

Thanks.

Edited by Chiliwailer

It is a pedal i really want when I next enter a phase of buying pedals (i'm being good and not buying anything for a few years :blink: ). My understanding from owning about 5 different source audio pedals is they are all aimed at working well on bass (excluding some of the new One series pedals). You'll also notice on the programmable EQ it has a bass mode where it lowers the frequencies that it works at. I'd be inclined to say get it as i have no doubt it will work fine on bass. there will be Bass examples on their website or online.

Sure, it does look good by all accounts. Thanks for the reply.

I should really expand on what I said too, given that it's programmable and leaning on the digital side, I'm wondering if that affects the natural tone of the instruments like many high end digital pedals do? It's not something everyone notices, but I do and it's my pet hate! :)

I have one but to be honest only used it briefly as I can get what I want from my RH750. It is good and is still on the pedal board but no longer part of the chain. On the other hand, it is currently a keeper.

One negative comment is that it is not a quick fix to change the settings per EQ band, so you do need to get each of the programmes set for your wanted sound before the session.

Edited by Bobthedog

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1433360186' post='2790490']

OK then, thanks for trying it so we didn't have to... :D
PS: Try more things!
[/quote]

Any requests? :)

It literally took me about 3 mins to dislike this EQ, gutted as it could have served a really good purpose.

Maybe I'm just too particular? So folks, give it bash yourself first, then report to Mr Discreet :)

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1433360878' post='2790497']

:lol: How about the Solid Gold FX Beta? Anyone got one or given it a go?
[/quote]

Oh my gosh, bought this pedal today.... Old school heaven, I could review it but I'm speechless at how nice it is. It does exactly what it says on the tin 'old school Neve sounds a la Abby Road'

Perfect contrast to my Aguilar Tone Hammer. Job done :)

EDIT - not JHS as in John Hornby Skewes!!!

Edited by Chiliwailer

man i might have to give the prog EQ a try just to see what it's like. I've heard all good stuff about JHS pedals that looks really nice. Fortunately for me i'm not buying squat at the moment so have no GAS. All of my music is happening through recording and writing at the moment, so no need to spend money as i can tweak EQ's to my hearts content once recorded :) Glad you found the right one for you

[quote name='The Badderer' timestamp='1433459588' post='2791348']
man i might have to give the prog EQ a try just to see what it's like. I've heard all good stuff about JHS pedals that looks really nice. Fortunately for me i'm not buying squat at the moment so have no GAS. All of my music is happening through recording and writing at the moment, so no need to spend money as i can tweak EQ's to my hearts content once recorded :) Glad you found the right one for you
[/quote]

Good idea, most people may overlook the issues I have with it. I noticed that even with the EQ off my bass tone wasn't the same, when I took the EQ out of line my tone was better. This wouldn't bother a lot of players, some may not even notice, but it's something that really bothers me, especially on electric guitar.

Bear in mind I needed to use it through headphones where it is perhaps more noticeable, I didn't even bother though my amp after that

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1433463402' post='2791361']

Wow, really? I must try one. What chance a sound clip..? :)
[/quote]
Sorry bud, not set up for that right now. :(

Unfortunately I don't have a Neve at home to compare it to, though I did recorded through a 70's one years ago, the pedal tone is very old school and reminds me of what's it's supposed to be. It's very useful as I'm using one bass for a few styles so the JHS and my Aguilar do great jobs at either end of the spectrum. It's very noticeable in the mix especially.

Oh, and like you say, finger performance is key to tone change! :)

[quote name='Chiliwailer' timestamp='1433483053' post='2791382']
...don't have a Neve at home to compare it to, though I did recorded through a 70's one years ago, the pedal tone is very old school and reminds me of what's it's supposed to be.
[/quote]

Sounds like just the sort of thing I'd be into. I've listened to some YouTube Beta vids, but of course these reviews always have some arse playing in a style that I'd never play myself, so it's hard to tell what's happening. Seems well worth a punt though, thanks. :)

Edited by discreet

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1433582188' post='2792224']

Sounds like just the sort of thing I'd be into. I've listened to some YouTube Beta vids, but of course these reviews always have some arse playing in a style that I'd never play myself, so it's hard to tell what's happening. Seems well worth a punt though, thanks. :)
[/quote]

I know what you mean, the proguitarshop review on YouTube with the Telecaster didn't really do it for me, but with the bass it's whole new thing. It feels weird buying a high tech pedal that gives a lo fi sound, but there is a depth and naturalness that I really like in this pedal, pure old school and not for the modern as its not as 'wow' as some may expect. Doubt it'll be everyone's thing, you know? Just works for me as a complete opposite to my Aguilar, really like having this Colour Box for old sounds from a modern bass. Haven't tried it through and amp yet, would need to hear it loud and proud to have a decent idea so haven't bothered. I use it through a desk and headphones mostly.

Shame it's so pricey. Tried it on my Telecaster, couldn't get a tone that worked for me, not good when spending a load!

[quote name='Chiliwailer' timestamp='1433594070' post='2792382']
It feels weird buying a high tech pedal that gives a lo fi sound, but there is a depth and naturalness that I really like in this pedal, pure old school and not for the modern as its not as 'wow' as some may expect. Doubt it'll be everyone's thing, you know?
[/quote]

Thanks for this... I might just get one and give it a go... I like old school and I find pedals with a 'wow' factor are generally unusable. I'm not into FX per se, anything pedular I buy tends to be used as an always-on pre-amp. Of course what I should do is buy an Ampeg SVT CL and an 8X10 for my P bass and have done with it! ;)

Edited by discreet

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1433595568' post='2792406']

. Of course what I should do is buy an Ampeg SVT CL and an 8X10 for my P bass and have done with it! ;)
[/quote]

You mean you don't have that set up already? Can't believe I was even talking to you! :)

Sounds like you'll love this pedal mate.

[quote name='Chiliwailer' timestamp='1433600455' post='2792438']
You mean you don't have that set up already? Can't believe I was even talking to you! :)
Sounds like you'll love this pedal mate.
[/quote]

Had the pleasure of such a rig back in the day... I was younger, stronger and more bendy. Plus - we had road crew. :)
Yes, it sounds right up my street. Just have to find the best deal now...

[quote name='Chiliwailer' timestamp='1433604289' post='2792471']
Paid £309 for mine, gulp... If you get it less than that, please be kind and lie. :)
[/quote]

Oh dear. In that case, I'll just keep very quiet and definitely not mention the well-known online German music store, then... :P

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1433611343' post='2792541']

Oh dear. In that case, I'll just keep very quiet and definitely not mention the well-known online German music store, then... :P
[/quote]

Uh oh.... Well at least I had the pleasure of walking out the shop with it!!!

So you got one then????? :)

Much cheaper?

[quote name='Chiliwailer' timestamp='1433611553' post='2792544']
Uh oh.... Well at least I had the pleasure of walking out the shop with it!!! So you got one then????? :) Much cheaper?
[/quote]

No, but at the moment it looks like that's where I'm going to buy it from. :)
May have to wait a week or two until I get another acquisition sorted out.

Edited by discreet

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1433612509' post='2792549']

No, but at the moment it looks like that's where I'm going to buy it from. :)
May have to wait a week or two until I get another acquisition sorted out.
[/quote]

Ooh, think I know which one you mean, that'll be a nice day :)

Edit, new acquisition I mean....

Edited by Chiliwailer