Why become a member? ×

J&D P Bass

sbrag

Has anyone here tried the J&D P bass that dv247 has for £80 and if so what are they like? i know there is a lot of love for the 75 jazz they do but havent seen much about about the P. http://www.dv247.com/guitars/jandd-yc-pb-4-string-bass-guitar-black--201637

thinking of a cheap p like this or the £60 harley benton to ugrade the electrics and use as a backup.

new basses for cheaper then a 2nd hand squier seem a bit too good to be true.

Edited by sbrag

The J&D, Just like the Harley Benton, will probably be a mixed bag. In all likelyhood the bass will be cheap but serviceable - only probable issue will be the tuners. IME the cheaper tuners are usually inaccurate and wear out after a short time - but I've only had a couple of basses with very budget tuners. They worked for months but needed replacing after less than a year.

EDIT: I should add the tuners didn't fail - they just became stiff and barely usable before I replaced them.

Edited by PlungerModerno

I've found that the P basses are not as well finished on the neck as the Jazzes.
This is mainly due to the bound neck edges on the Jazzes. Some of the fretwork on the Ps could genuinely cut your hands. It's nothing that can't be sorted with a fine file or wire wool, but I wouldn't buy one without trying it first. QC is extremely variable.

I can't comment on the P basses sound quality, but some of the Jazzes sound really good, and I wouldn't hesitate to gig with one.

[quote name='sixdegrees' timestamp='1432574966' post='2782877']
I've found that the P basses are not as well finished on the neck as the Jazzes.
This is mainly due to the bound neck edges on the Jazzes. Some of the fretwork on the Ps could genuinely cut your hands. It's nothing that can't be sorted with a fine file or wire wool, but I wouldn't buy one without trying it first. QC is extremely variable.

I can't comment on the P basses sound quality, but some of the Jazzes sound really good, and I wouldn't hesitate to gig with one.
[/quote]

The Jazz sounds really good, in my opinion, I love that thing... but the fretwork was "ouch" territory. Pretty sharp, those ends. Small issue, easily fixed, but... there it is.