Why become a member? ×

Setting up?

teen t-shirt

My bass real badly needs setting up...
now would it be adviseable to spend cash on it and take it to a shop and have them do it...
or do i wait till tinman might have the time to do it for me (as he said he would if he had the time lol) or do i search the internet for a guide and do it my self...

what do my fellow basschatters suggest?

any suggestions welcome...

:)

(i feel really silly)

Start with an old cheap bass if you can, but there's not a great deal you can do (or are likely to with a bit of common sense) that's irreversable. Like JimBob has said, find some guidlines then play around and find out what works for you. It's not rocket surgery, it can just be a bit daunting at first and it takes some patience. Adjust and re-adjust as necessary, I've never found that it all falls into place first time.
Good luck!

Have you got a 24" steel rule or some other sort of straight-edge you can use to see how much relief your neck has? You can do it by eye but it can be a bit hit and miss, or hold down a string at 1st fret and your last fret and see how much space there is between string and frets in the middle. If your neck arches back (bowing into the strings so that they touch all the way along) it needs relieving, if it's fairly straight with a little forward curve (bowing away from the strings) then you might just need to raise your action at the bridge.

They're located either under a cover on the head-stock, or the other end where the neck joins the body.

A word of warning: If you decide to adjust the truss rod yourself make sure that you only give it the slightest tweak clockwise or c/clockwise before checking. overdoing it could cause serious problems.

i owe you all a beer and a white wine or fruit based beverage for the lady...

i made slight adjustments to the truss rod literally only tiny millimeter adjustments and retuned afterwards... checked the spacing check for the buzzing and after repeating the process of de-tuning and re-tuning and checking the buzzing has now stopped and the bass sounds better than ever thankyou all...

PM'd by the way...

Edited by teen t-shirt

[quote name='teen t-shirt' post='269097' date='Aug 24 2008, 08:37 PM']i owe you all a beer and a white wine or fruit based beverage for the lady...

i made slight adjustments to the truss rod literally only tiny millimeter adjustments and retuned afterwards... checked the spacing check for the buzzing and after repeating the process of de-tuning and re-tuning and checking the buzzing has now stopped and the bass sounds better than ever thankyou all...

PM'd by the way...[/quote]

Wine aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaall the way :huh:

If you wanted to know a little more I can recommend this book: Guitar Player Repair Guide: How to Set Up, Maintain and Repair Electrics and Acoustics (Paperback) by Dan Erlewine [url="http://www.bookdepository.co.uk/WEBSITE/WWW/WEBPAGES/search.php?key=guitar+player+repair+guide&by=title"]http://www.bookdepository.co.uk/WEBSITE/WW...de&by=title[/url]

Also you can get 2 DVDs . Maintenance & Setup Electric Guitars and Basses Volumes 1 & 2 from [url="http://www.stewmac.com"]www.stewmac.com[/url] really great way to learn all about guitar (and bass) setup

StewMac (Stewart Macdonald) also sell all manner of guitar tools & spares.

Between his books and DVDs I've managed to set up my guitars and basses as well as those of friends and students.

I've seen set-ups in a couple of stores priced at £60 and that's excluding strings!! At those kind of unbelievable prices, (and incredibly low standards of customer service) it was cheaper for me to get some books, a few basic tools and do it myself.

[quote name='dlloyd' post='269201' date='Aug 24 2008, 11:25 PM']A better way to judge how much relief to put in a neck is to listen for buzz (after all, that's what you're trying to prevent)... If it's buzzing at the lower frets, there's not enough, if it buzzes at the higher frets, there's too much.[/quote]

Interesting, I was unaware of too much relief causing buzz on higher frets. How does that work? Do you mean when you play the higher frets or that the buzzing occurs at the higher frets?

i live in RAF Digby...

and travelling is a bit difficult as i have no mode of transport except for my parents atm and not the most reliable things eh?
how ever thanks for the concern i think i have it all sorted the neck sounds better than ever and theres no buzz...

tarr very much though...