Why become a member? ×

Compressor question.

ruztiwarren

This has probably been posted already, but is it better to place a compressor before an amp or to place it in the effects loop (compressor is pedal not rack). Also which is this applicable if your not using any other effects, and what if your using effects such as distortion, filters etc. And does using an active/passive bass make any difference. Advice or suitable links appreciated. Just so no-one asks me what my rig is (I'm looking for advice about compression not necessarily specific to my set-up), I've got a '73 jazz, EA iamp500 head into an EA CLX-112E with a Demeter Compulator. Thanks.

Most pedals are designed to work plugged between the instrument and the amp, the effects loop would most likely overload their input.

Placing a compressor before or after another effect will change the final sound, but in this case, it is better to experiment by yourself.

i generally put the compressor first in my signal chain, but there's no rule really as to where it has to go. sometimes it's best to put it at the end of a lot of effects to smooth out volume spikes from other effects. as previously stated, the best way to do it is experiment.

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=337"]This[/url] might be of help as well.

thanks for the replies. i'm aware though of what a compressor does, i've owned several, but i'm curious about placement either before an amp or in an effects loop? if most pedals are designed to go before an amp, why do amps even have effects send and returns?

assuming i've no other effects does it make any difference where to place a pedal compressor? and if i use multiple pedals (compressor at end of the chain), what's the difference having them before the amp or in the amps effects loop (other than being able to control the level in a loop)? i will experiment, i'm just curious what most people find works best.

Reason for amp having effects loops? As a totally wild guess, so you can use rack mounted effects.

I dont use effects but if you have a hot signal it might be best to use the compressor first (if its a have it on all the time kind of thing) to avoid overdriving the input on the others.

its suggested that the best method is: Bass -> inserts (EQ, gate, compressor) - > Amp -> Effects loop (distortion, reverbs, delays, etc).
This way you can usually always maintain a good blend of wet and dry signals.

And of course always think about your effects orders. the likes of gate and compressors. easier to gate a signal first then compress it. rather than gating a signal with the smaller dynamic range.

Or just go with what you think sounds best :)

It all depends!

If you put a compressor before pedals, you will limit the way that they react to dynamics.

If you put pedals after your amp's pre-amp, then they could be overdriven by the louder signal. This might be good, but might be bad. I used EQ pedals to drive certain distortion pedals harder, so if you're doing something like that then using the pre-amp to drive them instead would make sense.

If you have no other effects at all - putting the compressor in the loop could mean that you are giving it such a hot signal that the threshold control is useless. It could also lead to a loss of high (or boost of low) end which could be (un)desirable after the pre-amp depending on what kind of tone you get out of the amp-pre-amp rather than your bass's pre-amp. You might want to try bass>comp>FX return, completely bypassing the pre-amp.

I think if you understand how compressors work, and what an effects loop is, then you should be able to experiment and figure out what works for you. There are reasons for the differences in sound before/after pedals/in a loop but being that the sound is subjective there can be no set rules.

[quote name='Archetype' post='270129' date='Aug 26 2008, 12:01 PM']its suggested that the best method is: Bass -> inserts (EQ, gate, compressor) - > Amp -> Effects loop (distortion, reverbs, delays, etc).
This way you can usually always maintain a good blend of wet and dry signals.

And of course always think about your effects orders. the likes of gate and compressors. easier to gate a signal first then compress it. rather than gating a signal with the smaller dynamic range.

Or just go with what you think sounds best :)[/quote]

I think that you may be thinking more in the context of a studio mixing desk. You would use "inserts" as they are 100% wet, and you would use "sends" as you can change the amount sent to this loop.

In the context of bass amps, there are not that many with effects loops that you can adjust the mix (are there?).