Why become a member? ×

Amplifier for busking ?

ambient

I don't know if you are into DIY, but you can run a car stereo amplifier in bridge mode to give about 90 watts into 8 ohms, and a 12v 7AHr lead acid battery will give you 3-4 hours of use in an acousic pub setting, or about an hour outdoors keeping up with with guitars and vocals through a small pa. The amplifier input will match the output of an active bass, and you can walk to a gig with a 1 by 10 speaker in one hand, the amp/battery assembly in the other, and a gigbag on your back.

[url="http://s285.photobucket.com/user/Mottlefeeder/media/DSCF0972_zps22a94527.jpg.html"][/url]

The speaker is 30*30*40cm (12*12*15 inches) and the amp 'plate' contains the battery in the box with the logo.

Ignore any idiot that chips in with 'don't believe the specs of car amplifiers' - the better brands now quote true RMS outputs in the specification (as well as painting peak outputs on the casing).

David

Edited by Mottlefeeder

[quote name='Musashimonkey' timestamp='1431846953' post='2775415']
PHil Jones Bass 'Double Four' with a laptop battery back?...
[/quote]

I can't see anything on the PJ website to confirm that this will run on batteries - it appears to be a mains-only practice amp.

The PJ Briefcase will take the same battery that I used in mine.

David

[quote name='Mottlefeeder' timestamp='1431897350' post='2776079']
I can't see anything on the PJ website to confirm that this will run on batteries - it appears to be a mains-only practice amp.

David
[/quote]
[quote name='Musashimonkey' timestamp='1431846953' post='2775415']
PHil Jones Bass 'Double Four' with a laptop battery back?...
[/quote]

Thanks guys, I wasn't aware that laptop batteries would power an amp. A few options there then :)

[quote name='Mottlefeeder' timestamp='1431897350' post='2776079']

David
[/quote]

The Double Four has a "DC input" on the front panel. That's where you can hook up a battery. If you look at the sort of batteries recommended for the Briefcase, they will work here too, you'll just need a suitable cable to hook it up, and a charger, presumably.

Edited by mcnach

Just seen McNach's reply - in mitigation I would point out that the specification does not mention a battery power supply, and the socket is only listed as an input socket!

[quote name='ambient' timestamp='1431898152' post='2776089']
Thanks guys, I wasn't aware that laptop batteries would power an amp. A few options there then :)
[/quote]

Laptop batteries contain lithium cells which can explode when abused. They also operate at voltages which are different to car batteries etc. I would be very wary about connecting a laptop battery to anything that was not specifically designed for it. You would also need to work out a safe way of charging it.

Decent car amplifiers are designed to connect to 12-14 volts, and contain voltage convertors to provide the higher voltages needed to give you a higher power output - they tend to shut down if the applied voltage is not what they expect to see. A laptop power supply runs at about 19 volts, so it is unlikely that the laptop battery will provide enough voltage to give you enough power from a simple amplifier, or to allow a car amplifier to turn on.

A 7AHr lead acid battery will cost you about £15, The same amount of energy in NiMH 'D-cells' will cost you about £80, and in Lithium-whatever will cost you well over £100. Your lightest option is lithium, but your cheapest option is a small lead acid battey, or if you want a longer gig, a larger lead acid battery and a trolley.

Another option is to use a mains invertor to run your mains-amp from a 12 volt battery, This minimises the amount of new kit you need to buy, and allows you to use gear whose tone you already know and like. However, some basses and/or amps pick up a buzz from the invertor, so it is definately a try before you buy option. Piezo pickups and class D amplifiers seem to be better, The standby current for the invertor and amp is likely to be 1-2 Amps, which will mean you get less playing time out of that system than you would out of a system specifically designed for battery use, but it is a cheap way forward.

Having said all that, some bass players have been very happy with Roland amplifiers running off 6 AA batteries
http://www.roland.com/products/micro_cube_bass_rx/
- I was not impressed when I tried one, but it may have had half-dead batteries, or just not been capable of producing the sound I wanted.

David

[quote name='Mottlefeeder' timestamp='1431904086' post='2776137']
Just seen McNach's reply - in mitigation I would point out that the specification does not mention a battery power supply, and the socket is only listed as an input socket!
[/quote]

Ha! I know, you'd imagine they would make that feature clear in their specs, eh?
I also missed it for a while until someone else mentioned you could use that as a portable battery operated solution, and I went "huh?"... then I checked, and there it was :lol:

[quote name='Mottlefeeder' timestamp='1431904086' post='2776137']
Laptop batteries contain lithium cells which can explode when abused. They also operate at voltages which are different to car batteries etc. I would be very wary about connecting a laptop battery to anything that was not specifically designed for it. You would also need to work out a safe way of charging it.

Decent car amplifiers are designed to connect to 12-14 volts, and contain voltage convertors to provide the higher voltages needed to give you a higher power output - they tend to shut down if the applied voltage is not what they expect to see. A laptop power supply runs at about 19 volts, so it is unlikely that the laptop battery will provide enough voltage to give you enough power from a simple amplifier, or to allow a car amplifier to turn on.

A 7AHr lead acid battery will cost you about £15, The same amount of energy in NiMH 'D-cells' will cost you about £80, and in Lithium-whatever will cost you well over £100. Your lightest option is lithium, but your cheapest option is a small lead acid battey, or if you want a longer gig, a larger lead acid battery and a trolley.

Another option is to use a mains invertor to run your mains-amp from a 12 volt battery, This minimises the amount of new kit you need to buy, and allows you to use gear whose tone you already know and like. However, some basses and/or amps pick up a buzz from the invertor, so it is definately a try before you buy option. Piezo pickups and class D amplifiers seem to be better, The standby current for the invertor and amp is likely to be 1-2 Amps, which will mean you get less playing time out of that system than you would out of a system specifically designed for battery use, but it is a cheap way forward.

Having said all that, some bass players have been very happy with Roland amplifiers running off 6 AA batteries
[url="http://www.roland.com/products/micro_cube_bass_rx/"]http://www.roland.co...o_cube_bass_rx/[/url]
- I was not impressed when I tried one, but it may have had half-dead batteries, or just not been capable of producing the sound I wanted.

David
[/quote]

Very informative! Thank you! :)

I'll take a photo and forward the battery pack details I'm using with my PJB double four, later tonight when I get home. Nothing on their website, can't remember how I originally found out about it... It's sold as an external battery pack for 'laptops', runs at 20v I think, and best of all, slides nicely into the handle. The Double Four has lots of low end too, and sounds great, very impressive from such a small amp! It came with a range of connection adaptors and you can charge it with the power pack from the Double Four I believe, though I've got an old Sony laptop PSU laying around I use to charge it.

[quote name='Musashimonkey' timestamp='1431937798' post='2776268']
I'll take a photo and forward the battery pack details I'm using with my PJB double four, later tonight when I get home. Nothing on their website, can't remember how I originally found out about it... It's sold as an external battery pack for 'laptops', ...
[/quote]

OK, that's a different ball game - that battery pack will have the fuses and over-temperature sensors built in to it - a battery pack borrowed from a laptop probably won't.

David