Why become a member? ×
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Diamond Bass Compressor - help needed!

Freddie75

Hi,

I've just purchased one of these pedals and am trying to power at 18v.

The pedal comes with an 18v power adapter, - (however this is a 2 pin plug) as well as a 9v red cable. At 9v the thing can distort so am looking to power at 18v.

Does anybody know if a standard 18v pedal power adapter will work?

I purchased a voodoo lab y cable but not sure I understood the concept of the thing. I have a power brick and I thought by plugging the y end in to 2 of the power outs of the brick will give me 18v - however the pedal is not powering up when doing this.

Any help appreciated here!

Thanks
Freddie

An 18V power adaptor will work, effectspowersupplies.com have them.

There are two kinds of Y cable. A voltage doubler will the way you suggest. A current doubler will give you twice the current that you would get from an isolated supply at the same voltage.

Its possible that the power supply isn't delivering enough current for the pedal and that's why you are seeing issues.

Just done a little more digging - it appears that this pedal is 18VDC centre positive - can you check that?

If so it might explain why it doesn't power up from the power brick, which will almost certainly be 9V centre negative. If so you need to make sure you get either a centre positive power supply, or buy an polarity reverser. The red cable probably has that built-in.

[quote name='Freddie75' timestamp='1430738085' post='2764106']
Just a cheap one - think it cost about £25 with about 10 9v outputs. What would you recommend?

Many thanks
Freddie
[/quote]

A cheap power brick like that will not have isolated outputs, so you can't use a voltage doubler cable with it.

Thanks guys, just purchased a standard 18v pedal adapter, will use with the supplied red cable.

Used it at an indoor gig on sat at 9v and was fine, used it on an outdoor event yesterday - more volume needed and was distorting when digging in.

Thank you all muchly for your help on this!

Regards
Freddie

I've just spent some ore time with a much higher output active bass and I can get it start hitting the threshold with a little bass boost and hitting an open E pretty hard.

I'm running it side by side with a Demeter Compulator and an Aguilar TLC and neither of those are affected by this setting on the bass so I have to assume the Diamond does need that 18v power supply if you're boosting your signal at all and hitting low notes fairly hard.

The 18v power supply should sort it for you :)

[quote name='molan' timestamp='1430759350' post='2764342']
I've just spent some ore time with a much higher output active bass and I can get it start hitting the threshold with a little bass boost and hitting an open E pretty hard.

I'm running it side by side with a Demeter Compulator and an Aguilar TLC and neither of those are affected by this setting on the bass so I have to assume the Diamond does need that 18v power supply if you're boosting your signal at all and hitting low notes fairly hard.

The 18v power supply should sort it for you :)
[/quote]

Thanks Molan

Regards
Freddie