Why become a member? ×

Phil Jones shoot-out

grandad

I stopped gigging Xmas 20013 and have gradually downsized since. Still jam once a week for fun.

Looking for a lightweight practice amp, about a month ago, I purchased a Briefcase from a fellow Bass-Chatterer. Pleased with the purchase I did a bit of research on the www and this week bought a Bass Cub, again from a fellow BC'er.

I held a shoot-out today, the winner being the keeper. Now, I expected some differences in tone between the 2 but not as markedly as it turned out. The following review is bang on target in my opinion.

[url="http://bassmusicianmagazine.com/2012/04/pjb-briefcase-vs-bass-cub-by-jonathan-moody/"]http://bassmusicianmagazine.com/2012/04/pjb-briefcase-vs-bass-cub-by-jonathan-moody/[/url]

I'm keeping the Briefcase. I think it's down to the more hi-fi quality that suits my impaired hearing.

Both benefited from my listening position, i.e. a yard or 2 away and off axis. This was more noticable than with either of my old 10's and 15 inch cab's.

So, I think the Cub will soon be up for sale along with my old gig rig. If I ever feel the need for more SPL I guess I'll be looking at the Phil Jones PB300.

Good review - I must admit that I prefer the ceramic driver PJB cabs but I know a lot of people that prefer the Neos so I guess it's just a subjective thing.

We've just received a pair of PB300's in part exchange so I must test one with one of the baby combos to see how it sounds :)

[quote name='molan' timestamp='1430690727' post='2763818']
Good review - I must admit that I prefer the ceramic driver PJB cabs but I know a lot of people that prefer the Neos so I guess it's just a subjective thing.

We've just received a pair of PB300's in part exchange so I must test one with one of the baby combos to see how it sounds :)
[/quote]
Don't suppose one of those is in red Barrie? Been considering the upgrade for a while now

[/quote]

Strange as it may seem, the ceramic Piranha speakers in the Briefcase are producing the more hi-fi sound I have previously associated with neo's. The Cub has more growl. How much is down to the amp and how much to the speaker type I know not.

PM

[/quote]I've been running a Cub with a PB300 for quite a while now, although I've recently been taking out the 300 with just a Bass Buddy. With the Cub I run the EQ dead flat, but with the BB I have to have a distinctive push in the mids on the graphic to get the same tone. Great pieces of kit. In an ideal world though, I think I'd like a Flightcase with the 300 so I could take just the head combo for smaller gigs (the Cub just isn't powerful enough/have a big enough cab for gigs) and the entire rig for bigger venues/loud drummers.

[quote name='ezbass' timestamp='1430722190' post='2763891']
I've been running a Cub with a PB300 for quite a while now, although I've recently been taking out the 300 with just a Bass Buddy. With the Cub I run the EQ dead flat, but with the BB I have to have a distinctive push in the mids on the graphic to get the same tone. Great pieces of kit. In an ideal world though, I think I'd like a Flightcase with the 300 so I could take just the head combo for smaller gigs (the Cub just isn't powerful enough/have a big enough cab for gigs) and the entire rig for bigger venues/loud drummers.
[/quote]

I don't know why I've never thought of trying a Cub with a PB300. It's taken me quite a while to get my head around the PJB sound and philosophy and I was very sceptical about them.

They are beginning to make sense to me now though - just need to try a few more combinations :)

The little C4's are probably my favourites and they have the piranha speakers as well :)

[quote name='molan' timestamp='1430731928' post='2764016']
I don't know why I've never thought of trying a Cub with a PB300. It's taken me quite a while to get my head around the PJB sound and philosophy and I was very sceptical about them.

[/quote]It's a winning combination, as both you and/or the drummer can use the angled Cub as a bass monitor.

[quote name='ezbass' timestamp='1430722190' post='2763891']
I've been running a Cub with a PB300 for quite a while now, although I've recently been taking out the 300 with just a Bass Buddy. With the Cub I run the EQ dead flat, but with the BB I have to have a distinctive push in the mids on the graphic to get the same tone. Great pieces of kit. In an ideal world though, I think I'd like a Flightcase with the 300 so I could take just the head combo for smaller gigs (the Cub just isn't powerful enough/have a big enough cab for gigs) and the entire rig for bigger venues/loud drummers.
[/quote]

That sounds like a nice rig and it looks cool. The bass buddy looks a neat peice of kit. I am impressed with all the Phil Jones stuff, build quality is excellent and obviously a lot of thought has gone into the design. I can see me with a PB300 sooner than later. They look an easy lift.

The way you're EQ'ing ties in with my shoot-out between the 2. The Cub is stronger in the mids which gives a bit of grit to the overall tone. I dropped the mids on the Cub to give me a smiley face sound.

[quote name='ezbass' timestamp='1430732070' post='2764021']
It's a winning combination, as both you and/or the drummer can use the angled Cub as a bass monitor.
[/quote]

I took a demo unit of the new BG400 (in red!) to a rehearsal last week. Smallest cab I've ever rehearsed with when playing with a drummer using an acoustic kit and it worked amazingly well.

I could imagine one of these with the C4 extension can would cover most gigs for on-stage sound and throw a fair bit out front as well :)

[quote name='grandad' timestamp='1430732190' post='2764023']They look an easy lift.

[/quote]Not the least of my considerations when purchasing ;)

For your viewing pleasure:

Clothed
[URL=http://s308.photobucket.com/user/ezbass/media/aae350462a6f42c4e61b543db319ac3b_zpsa956899b.jpg.html][IMG]http://i308.photobucket.com/albums/kk344/ezbass/aae350462a6f42c4e61b543db319ac3b_zpsa956899b.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

Nude
[URL=http://s308.photobucket.com/user/ezbass/media/e9820883b6ec2142e6385696bda797d7_zps9e4d03bf.jpg.html][IMG]http://i308.photobucket.com/albums/kk344/ezbass/e9820883b6ec2142e6385696bda797d7_zps9e4d03bf.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

[quote name='grandad' timestamp='1430744245' post='2764174']
That's one good looking rig.
[/quote]Ta! Now imagine what it would look like nude, with a Super Flightcase on top. Mmm. ;)

• 1 month later...

Our old lead guitarist has just started a music club at Quarry Bank Community Centre and we had a great 1st meeting. I ended up jamming "Hoochie Coochie Man", "Route 66" and some other numbers I forget now, with this 70 year old Blues enthusiast who certainly knew his harp and sang well too.
About 20 people turned up. So much for retiring from gigging, all sorts of possible alliances were discussed as possibilities for the future.

[/quote]

So I bought one - excellent service from Bassgear.

Both Cub and Briefcase just sounded themselves but bigger, as you would expect.

Then I figured that a Flightcase on top would just look 'the bees knees' so I took a trip to Bassdirect and picked one up, leaving them to sell on the Cub and also the Briefcase.

Now I'm thinking that I ought to try out a Buddy with it maybe.

Although I too prefer the ceramic's it was the weight that sold me but the eq is so well chosen that the slightly grittier neo's can be tamed.

I have to live and play with an amp, or for that matter a guitar, for at least a couple of weeks before I really get to know it but the flightcase and PB300 are my rig today though I did demo' the Tecamp Classic 112 combo at Bassdirect and was very impressed.