Why become a member? ×

Magnets & pickups

joe_bass

Heya guys just a quick question, google didn't turn up much specific...

I'm going to adjust the pickup heights on my Thumb bass tonight, got a set of screwdrivers that will fit the crossheads, but they are magnetic. Will using these damage the pickups in anyway?

Cheers

Joe

Are we talking about the pickup height adjustment screws, or do you have screw in polepieces on the pickups ?

If it's just the height adjustment screws then I wouldn't worry about it at all. Most screwdrivers are magnetic these days and I have never seen any "warnings" anywhere about this. The magnetic fields are relatively weak so the chances of them influencing anything are negligible. There's more chance that the screwdriver will be affected rather than the pickup.

Even if it's the actual polepieces then again the risk is negligible.

I wouldn't worry about it at all.

[quote name='joe_bass' post='267915' date='Aug 22 2008, 04:19 PM']But it does damage them then.[/quote]
This may be a lengthy simile. Bear with me.

Have you ever made a compass out of a sewing needle? The process is kinda simple. You take a magnet of some strength, and stroke it along the needle repeatedly, in the same direction. What you do is, you change the orientation of the iron atoms in the needle (which are in essence atom sized magnets) so that their magnetic fields are aligned, thus giving the needle as a whole a magnetic field. (Normally, the various fields of the atoms cancel each other out.)

This takes a while to accomplish, as you know if you've ever done it. And what you accomplish is that you turn a non magnetic needle into a very weakly magnetic one, and possibly weaken the other magnet by a similar amount.

/simile

Now, what you're going to do, is take one kinda weak magnet, and hold it somewhat close to the pickup magnet for a short while (minutes, at most). Close to, not purposefully grinding it against it. Any change in the pickup magnet due to this is negligible, trust me.

I'd say a bigger threat would be to lean the bass against the amp, so the pickups and speakers line up...

Think the bit about weakening the other magnet by equivalent isn't true, stuff you can magetise is magnetically 'soft', whereas most permanent magnets are much 'harder' and more stable. Bunches of pickups in a drawer is what I do, generally the pairs of humbuckers stick together, I'd figure that would strengthen the magnets if anything, as their fields are lined up and the tendency would be for the atoms to line up correspondingly.

[quote name='Mr. Foxen' post='268179' date='Aug 22 2008, 10:15 PM']Bunches of pickups in a drawer is what I do, generally the pairs of humbuckers stick together, I'd figure that would strengthen the magnets if anything, as their fields are lined up and the tendency would be for the atoms to line up correspondingly.[/quote]

I knew I'd read this somewhere ...

[url="http://www.billlawrence.com/Pages/Pickupology/magnets.htm"]http://www.billlawrence.com/Pages/Pickupology/magnets.htm[/url]

Be careful how pickups are stored in a drawer.

It might be a scout thing, I don't know.

What you do is magnetize the needle as outlined, then put it on a cigarette paper or somesuch, which you proceed to, very carefully, place on the surface of a glass of water. After a while, the paper is soaked, and should fall to the bottom of the glass, leaving the needle floating (yes, floating!) on the surface of the water. If left undisturbed, it will align itself with the earth's magnetic field.

[quote name='Cernael' post='269890' date='Aug 25 2008, 11:07 PM']It might be a scout thing, I don't know.

What you do is magnetize the needle as outlined, then put it on a cigarette paper or somesuch, which you proceed to, very carefully, place on the surface of a glass of water. After a while, the paper is soaked, and should fall to the bottom of the glass, leaving the needle floating (yes, floating!) on the surface of the water. If left undisturbed, it will align itself with the earth's magnetic field.[/quote]

Scouts with cigarette papers ? Surely not !!

You'll be telling us how to rub linseed oil into the school cormorant next....