Why become a member? ×

How do you cope with not being able to play?

dadofsix

Glad to hear you're on the mend dadofsix :)

A friend of mine recently had an op on the tendons of her hand
she couldn't play guitar for about a fortnight, and that was driving her mad!
So she played Djembe, and some other percussion instruments for a while

Slowly, her hand has been improving, and she reckons that playing guitar is good physiotherapy
though initially, it was a bit painful.... she took great care not to overdo it, or overstretch...

Hope you're 100% back in shape asap :)

I've been playing for 28 years and still love it but I never play in the house unless I have a song to learn for a wedding.

I reckon if something happened and I was unable to play or even if my numbers came up on the Euromillions and I disappeared into Europe for a year in a motorhome I wouldn't miss it.

Funny but I remember when I first started playing, I remember reading an article about a bass player in Guitarist before Bassist came out. It may even have been Jack Bruce and he said that he never practiced at home unless he was going on tour. I remember thinking that I couldn't imagine not playing all of the time but 28 years later yet here I am.

Anyway I'm sure that ain't going to help the OP. What I would do in your position would be to get onto Youtube to watch & listen to new stuff, Practice using your good hand, go to see lots of bands and anything that could help you so that when you're back to normal you're ready to go for it.

The few enforced breaks I've had have been down to illness/injury to others but my approach is always the same. I put the bass in it's case and forget about it. I accept invitations I normally have to decline because I'm playing. I go off for weekends that I normally can't because I'm playing. I don't have to rush around after work on Fridays or cut my Saturday afternoon's short. During enforced breaks I've done the 3 peaks walk , been to the ballet at Sadlers Wells , been to the June 6th Anniversary in Normandy , been to the Crick boat show , actually attended someone's birthday party instead of sending a card and last time it happened I went clay pigeon shooting and got horrendously mortalled afterwards with a bunch of posh farmers. In short - I enjoyed the things I usually can't get round to doing and my life is richer because of it.