Why become a member? ×

Rick Turner Renaissance fretless, **NOW TRADED***
£800

BassBod

**NOW TRADED**[attachment=190237:IMG_1219.jpg][attachment=190239:IMG_1223.jpg

Fantastic bass - very light, with a wonderful acoustic character to the sound. Has a walnut back and sides, solid centre block and cedar (or maybe spruce?) top. DTAR undersaddle pickup and 18v preamp with passive tone roll off and volume. Rosewood fingerboard with inlaid fret markers and currently strung with Thomastik flats.

The maple bolt on neck is carved very slim, much like a Jazz bass. Has a definite neck dive from the hollow body but this is made a lot easier by the strap holder extension, combined with the overall weight and the relatively wide body size. I'm quite fussy about balance and it has never bothered me.

Has one issue, otherwise I would be asking a bit more. About a year after getting the bass I noticed a small hump/crack towards the top of the fingerboard - this went down when I took some tension off the truss rod and has remained the same for the last two years or so. There is a crack in one dot position marker and you can just see where the wood cracked (this bass has a very thin laminate type fingerboard).
I was going to get it looked at and tidied up by a luthier, but never got around to it. I may still get it looked at and set up with some different strings, but that will increase the price. I have two blank bridge saddles (carbon fibre) from Rick Turner so that different strings can be set up.

Comes in the Levy's bag shown - its a bit bigger than most so fits the bass well.

Collection only from Bristol/Bath area...any questions..ask away..

Edited by BassBod

[attachment=190244:IMG_1224.jpg]

One more I forgot to include...those are reflections, not relicing. Overall the bass is in excellent condition, just a few minor markings on the edges from use.

Edited by BassBod

• 2 months later...

This lovely bass has now had a full check up, re-string and set up - now wearing D'Addario black plastic flats, and the small fingerboard crack is repaired and invisible.

Sounds fantastic, but still needs to go

Price raised to cover recent work and new strings - £875 collected (Bristol /Bath area)

[quote name='Dazed' timestamp='1436816112' post='2821113']
Is there any issue with the truss rod? Will it cause the crack to open if the rod is adjusted?

Cheers
[/quote]

Well, there is no way of knowing really. These basses have a very thin laminate fingerboard. When I noticed it I took some tension off the rod, and it went down, leaving a small crack..but has since been perfectly stable for two years or so. I've had no reason to adjust it, as it plays perfectly well.

The luthier has had a good look at it, re-bonded the area where the small crack was and is confident there would be no further problems. I'm aware the crack could return if the rod was tightened up, but there is no reason to do this. The relief is set perfectly for me...virtually straight, with just enough clearance for the strings to sound. The current strings are 45-105 black plastic flats and medium tension. If these were changed for heavy duty LaBella flats and the rod was cranked tight..who knows!

• 2 weeks later...