Why become a member? ×

Zoom H4

NancyJohnson

I use mine all the time, but I hardly ever set it to MP3 because I prefer to use WAV files. I'll happily email you some of my (very large) WAV files recorded at jams in London and at band rehearsals over the last year on an H4.

If you want some, PM me the email address to use.

Haven't tried the H4 but have an H2 and it's great - once you get the mic levels right ( it has a lot of flexibility), it can record a noisy band without any problems.

I usually leave mine on 192k MP3 and the results are fine. If you want a sample, PM me your email address and I'll dig out a clip ( I tend to leave it run)

Cheers
Alun

[quote name='Alun' post='269710' date='Aug 25 2008, 07:38 PM']Haven't tried the H4 but have an H2 and it's great - once you get the mic levels right ( it has a lot of flexibility), it can record a noisy band without any problems.

I usually leave mine on 192k MP3 and the results are fine. If you want a sample, PM me your email address and I'll dig out a clip ( I tend to leave it run)

Cheers
Alun[/quote]

Hi Alun
Don't worry about the files...I've had some MP3s through from HJ - all good. More than demonstrates what it can do. I'll add one to my shopping list.
Cheers
P

Follow the link in my signature-the song on the MySpace was done on an H4 at a gig a while back-hardly studio-quality, but not bad. We do plan on getting some better stuff on there soon, but it does the trick temporarily, I think. It's a bit quiet because I had the mike on 'Low'-I wish I'd put it to 'Medium', but I was afraid it would clip.

Edited by Deep Thought

[quote name='Deep Thought' post='270528' date='Aug 26 2008, 07:45 PM']Follow the link in my signature-the song on the MySpace was done on an H4 at a gig a while back-hardly studio-quality, but not bad. We do plan on getting some better stuff on there soon, but it does the trick temporarily, I think. It's a bit quiet because I had the mike on 'Low'-I wish I'd put it to 'Medium', but I was afraid it would clip.[/quote]

From my loads of pissing about with my H4 I reckon it's the positioning of it rather than the input gain setting. I used to get much the same as you've got here then put it on medium and it would distort loads.

Do you use the auto gain? If you use the monitor function and set the level manually and pop the COMP on it might be better.

There's so many variables but I find the more you piss about the more of a feel you get.

Cool dirty boogie by the way, I like it! :)

[quote name='Sean' post='270562' date='Aug 26 2008, 08:56 PM']From my loads of pissing about with my H4 I reckon it's the positioning of it rather than the input gain setting. I used to get much the same as you've got here then put it on medium and it would distort loads.

Do you use the auto gain? If you use the monitor function and set the level manually and pop the COMP on it might be better.

There's so many variables but I find the more you piss about the more of a feel you get.

Cool dirty boogie by the way, I like it! :)[/quote]

Cheers Sean! Must try that next time-to be honest I just used the switch on the side, and hoped for the best. Really ought to RTFM. There's a few more like that in the pipeline which we're planning to get decent recordings of soon. 'Cool dirty boogie' -I like that a lot-do you mind if I quote you?

[quote name='Deep Thought' post='270566' date='Aug 26 2008, 09:07 PM']Cheers Sean! Must try that next time-to be honest I just used the switch on the side, and hoped for the best. Really ought to RTFM. There's a few more like that in the pipeline which we're planning to get decent recordings of soon. 'Cool dirty boogie' -I like that a lot-do you mind if I quote you?[/quote]

I've been quoted before but never for anything good or positive :huh: I'd be honoured. :)

Reading pp14 -18 of that manual is time well spent - the guitarist in my band did it and told me I ought to too. I even know what the mic models are all about now too!

• 2 weeks later...

I've had a Zoom H4 which I bought shortly after they were released. I've read the manual thoroughly and I'm still finding ways to improve the quality of the recordings. I would recommend that you play around with it as much as possible and record all sorts so you get to know what works best.