Why become a member? ×

power supply

2 left thumbs

Hi all. bought a tc nova drive pedal on the for sale forum.
Didn't come with a power supply, not complaining it didn't say it did.
Would have used my cioks schizophrenic to power it anyway if I could.
The cioks will only power 75ma, novadrive requires 12v DC 380mA centre negative plug.
I have old jhS universal power adaptor, switchable voltage and polarity
Which is 500mA 6VA Max no mention whether ac/dc or DC
The nova drive has digital switching, I guess it would be safe to use.
But don't want to risk frying it, is it safe ?

The current (mA) rating of the power supply is the maximum current that can be drawn from it.

Your TC Nova pedal will only draw the current it requires (380mA of the 500mA available).

It'll be fine provided you choose the right voltage and polarity. :)

Switch the universal PSU to 12v, and check that the polarity corresponds to the centre negative required (use a multimeter, borrow one if necessary...). At that voltage, the PSU is capable of supplying the 380mA required (12v x 500mA = 6VA...), so you should be good to go. It's pretty certainly DC; there are few AC ones, and no polarity switch would be needed if it was AC.
Hope this helps.

[quote name='dmccombe7' timestamp='1428689714' post='2743874']
i have the TC helicon power supply and works fine. What's the advantage changing to Voodoo - reliability ?
Dave
[/quote]

It is probably the best option to power a larger board, and it is great not to have to deal with batteries, or reconfiguring a daisy chain! The sag feature is a plus for those pedals that react differently with weak batteries. Highly recommended! If you only have the one pedal, it's not needed.

I don't know much about TCs power supple.It could be similar or better for all I know. :D Here's what Voodoo labs have to say;

[b] Voodoo Lab Pedal Power 2 Plus Universal Power Supply, New[/b]

Feed clean, hum-free juice to power-hungry pedals -- with 4 Boss-type ACA outputs, 2 Line 6-type outputs, and 2 SAG outputs for simulating drained batteries.

The beauty of the Power 2 Plus: all of the power outputs are completely isolated from each other. This means that you'll encounter no tone loss or power drain between different devices. With a Voodoo Lab Pedal Power 2 Plus powering your pedalboard, you can know that your outboard FX are running their best and most balanced. Moreover, you'll know that your rig is safe from unexpected surges or any "dirty" power you might find out there.

Edited by blue

the universal adaptor works fine, though i think i will get a tc electronic powerplug before next gig.

[url="http://www.andertons.co.uk/power-supplies/cid591/power-supplies.asp#1428700275892page-1"]http://www.andertons.co.uk/power-supplies/cid591/power-supplies.asp#1428700275892page-1[/url]

can't be doing with batteries, tried the daisy chain thing once was too noisy.
the voodoo labs pedal power 2 plus only goes up to 250ma and those are only 9v so wouldn't be any good
the cioks schizophrenic does pretty much the same but was about half the price of the voodoo labs, and I've not had any problem with it,
typically they have brought out a new version, which would be able to power the nova drive.
thanks to you all for your input

[quote name='2 left thumbs' timestamp='1428705760' post='2744030']
the universal adaptor works fine, though i think i will get a tc electronic powerplug before next gig.

[url="http://www.andertons.co.uk/power-supplies/cid591/power-supplies.asp#1428700275892page-1"]http://www.andertons...700275892page-1[/url]

can't be doing with batteries, tried the daisy chain thing once was too noisy.
the voodoo labs pedal power 2 plus only goes up to 250ma and those are only 9v so wouldn't be any good
the cioks schizophrenic does pretty much the same but was about half the price of the voodoo labs, and I've not had any problem with it,
typically they have brought out a new version, which would be able to power the nova drive.
thanks to you all for your input
[/quote]

How many pedals can you conect the power plug to? Did I pay *$169.00 for something I could have purchased for $15.00?

*filtered power via 6 x 9VDC 100mA and 2 x 9VDC 250mA regulated sources -- and clean power means better sound.

Blue

Edited by blue