Why become a member? ×

Whatever happened to Dearmond?

markdavid

DeArmond was originally a pickup company which was acquired by Fender who then brought out a range of instruments under the Dearmond name. These were Korean made to the design of Guild originals. After the DeArmonds were discontinued some were rebranded as Squiers for a while. The DeArmond Ashbory was rebranded to just "Ashbory".

Yep, apparently they were an offshoot of Guild? Fender bought them, then discontinued them shortly after. I bought a Pilot DLX V for £325 (list was somewhere around £700). 8 years on it's still my only fretted bass... And it's still stock, kinda fancy some new electronics and pickups but don't know what I'd go for... And the tuners are a bit cheap. Does anyone know where I can get quality satin silver hardware from?

I've got a Dearmond Jetstar Special in bits, that I've hacked around as I could never get on with the unwieldy body shape- it never balanced the long-scale neck and made the first fret a long stretch to reach.
I'd like to put the neck on a new body that looks retro but balances properly, but the problem is the narrow neck heel- more like a guitar neck width.
I might have to build a new body from scratch.

[quote name='TheRinser' post='266341' date='Aug 20 2008, 03:06 PM']Joe, is that the DLX?[/quote]

I wouldn't quite be sure tbh mate.

Didn't wanna hi-jack the thread by going in to detail.

I got it a few years ago, idea being to have it as a bass to leave in the locker at college (few towns away) However I ended up always using my Warwick or MIM jazz & consequently it's just sat around since.

[quote name='TheRinser' post='266363' date='Aug 20 2008, 03:32 PM']haha, sorry to derail. The DLX is natural wood (mahogany or swamp ash) with a through neck and humbuckers. Might be interested if it is and you do end up getting rid of it :)[/quote]

Deff ain't DLX then. It's a bolt on. Very nice finish though.