Why become a member? ×

Silly but Painful gigging injuries

Deep Thought

Picked up a flight case by the wheel, which then predictably spun round trapping my left hand index finger tip between the wheel and the bit that holds the wheel on (technical term). 30 minutes or so before the gig obviously.

Played the whole thing not using that finger which looked weird and required a lot of concentration.

Not an injury but I attempted to bias a valve and heard a loud pop when I put the multi meter on one of the base contacts. I took it to a tech who showed me what to do and said "It's this contact. If you touch that contact next to it, you'll get an electric shock strong enough to stop your heart." He was pointing to the one I'd got the pop from. Never opened the amp up again. I'm still convinced I'm on borrowed time.

[quote name='Simon Lovelock' timestamp='1447261160' post='2906244']
...we decided to put fairy lights around the drum kit and as I was stood on them during our performance I continued to get electric shocks in one number and blacking out! Huge surges down my arms too! Got through the number though, ha ha...
[/quote]

You only need about 1A across your heart for a second or so to kill you stone dead. You were very lucky.

Edited by discreet

Playing a gig in a rock club in Manchester in the 80s, we were on a 3ft high temporary stage, and in a fit of overenthusiasm I jumped ever so dynamically and cracked my head on one of the roof trusses. Bit a chunk out of the end of my tongue and landed heavily at an angle, which separated one of the stage blocks by a couple of feet. Played the rest of the song in a daze and an enforcedly heroic* stance while trying not to throw up, dribble too much blood or pass out, until our roadie got back from the bar and spotted my predicament.

Apart from that, the gig was a total disaster...

* Legs akimbo by just a couple of feet too much