Why become a member? ×

Fender Aerodyne Precision - anyone got one/experience of?

Chris Sharman

Morning all,

A chap I know through the guitarist in one of the bands I play for is soon going to be parting with his Aerodyne precision and I have first refusal on it if I wish.

Unfortunately he lives a LONG way from me so I can't just nip and try it out any time I like but has has offered to bring it up with him in a week or so when he is visiting our guitar player for a few days. I am used to a Jazz and in the past I have struggled with a precision neck as being a bit too chunky for my liking but I am told this one is more like a J than a P (or somewhere between the two).

If so, I may just pull the trigger on this but if someone can give me a pointer on what they are like to play, and what the tonal differences will be using a P/J configuration compared to a standard Jazz that would be great.

At the end of the day obviously the best thing is to try it, I just don't want to make him drag it up here if there is no chance of my being comfortable with it.

I own a Jazz bass and also a P/J bass. First don't compare the P/J bass to a Jazz bass. They both sounded different in my ears but I choose the P/J over the jazz. If you like P bass then P/J will give you more option, but if you don't like P bass then P/J setup might not cut it for you ......

First treat the P/J as a precision bass with a added J bridge pickup. Another word means I can use this bass as a stand alone P, solo the bridge pickup to get that bridge pickup jazz tone or combine both to get a different tone. On my P/J bass using both pickup together gives me abit of scoop tone but not as much as 2 jazz pickup together.

Edited by badboy1984