Why become a member? ×

'61 Gibson EB O (sprayed white!) value?

leftyhook

I had a guy buy my amp from me today and he brought along his friends bass to try it out. It was a 1961 Gibson EB O,but some numbskull had decided to spray it white 30 years ago! It very good condition otherwise
Of course it's just the single pick up, but how much would it have been worth had it been left it's original colour?(the red was beginning to show through atr the headstock where the serial number is.
The guy said his friend would sell it to him (and him alone...)for about £100! A pretty poor bass by todays standards that has clearly lost tons of value due to the white paint job, but still....£100 for a '61 Gibson?

[quote name='leftyhook' post='265758' date='Aug 19 2008, 06:17 PM']I had a guy buy my amp from me today and he brought along his friends bass to try it out. It was a 1961 Gibson EB O,but some numbskull had decided to spray it white 30 years ago! It very good condition otherwise
Of course it's just the single pick up, but how much would it have been worth had it been left it's original colour?(the red was beginning to show through atr the headstock where the serial number is.
The guy said his friend would sell it to him (and him alone...)for about £100! A pretty poor bass by todays standards that has clearly lost tons of value due to the white paint job, but still....£100 for a '61 Gibson?[/quote]

Take it. With a more authentic cherry red refinishing job, it's easily worth more than that. The fact of the matter is that people go nuts for vintage instruments. Just make sure the serial number doesn't get damaged in the refin.

Grr, these are the kind of deals I dream about! Where's my 1961 Gibson for £100?!? :)

EvilLordJuju is the one to ask about this, but being as even a modern Epi copy would cost that 2ndhand you can't lose. Grab it!

Mid-60's ones seem to go for around the £500 mark - either because they're totally undervalued, or not very good basses depending on your point of view! (tone is pure mud) The EB-3 a much better bass.

Edited by Shaggy

[quote name='neepheid' post='265864' date='Aug 19 2008, 08:25 PM']Take it. With a more authentic cherry red refinishing job, it's easily worth more than that. The fact of the matter is that people go nuts for vintage instruments. Just make sure the serial number doesn't get damaged in the refin.

Grr, these are the kind of deals I dream about! Where's my 1961 Gibson for £100?!? :huh:[/quote]

The sad fact is that people do, indeed, go nuts for vintage instruments - until you try and sell one of course, as I know from bitter experience. :) :huh: :huh: :unsure:

Edited by bassicinstinct

[quote name='bassicinstinct' post='266059' date='Aug 20 2008, 08:21 AM']The sad fact is that people do, indeed, go nuts for vintage instruments - until you try and sell one of course, as I know from bitter experience. :) :huh: :huh: :huh:[/quote]
What's the story there then?

[quote name='Shaggy' post='266108' date='Aug 20 2008, 10:12 AM']What's the story there then?[/quote]

I have an early 70's Gibson bass - well gigged and considerably upgraded over the 30 years + I've owned it - which I decided to advertise for sale here last year.

Mercifully, there was little or no interest in it at all.

With the benefit of hindsight, I'd have been mortified if I actually had sold it. :) :huh:

[quote name='bassicinstinct' post='266114' date='Aug 20 2008, 10:18 AM']I have an early 70's Gibson bass - well gigged and considerably upgraded over the 30 years + I've owned it - which I decided to advertise for sale here last year.

Mercifully, there was little or no interest in it at all.

With the benefit of hindsight, I'd have been mortified if I actually had sold it. :) :huh:[/quote]
Makes you believe in fate, doesn't it! I seem to move on new-ish basses, can't seem to bring myself to with the old ones.

[quote name='Stag' post='266372' date='Aug 20 2008, 03:38 PM']I remember... you wanted to sell me that SB450! Glad you didnt now then?

:huh: :huh: :huh:[/quote]

Yes indeedy - although, if I'm honest, it still resides in it's case in the spare room and [b]very[/b] rarely sees the light of day, which is sacrilege really. :)

I guess it's just a "sentimental" thing because I've owned it so long? :unsure: :lol: