Why become a member? ×

Putting my pedals in order..

franzbassist

Hello all

So, I have gone on a bit of an FX splurge recently and purchased the following:

MXR Bass Overdrive
MXR Bass Compressor
MXR Bass Octave Deluxe

I also have a Providence Dual Bass Station, which is effectively a dual input, two channel EQ preamp pedal, which allows me to switch between fretted/fretless or electric/upright with ease.

What I'd like to do is put the pedals on one channel of the preamp only, so my questions are:[list]
[*]what's the best order for the pedals? (I was thinking Octave>Overdrive>Compressor, but I know there are no "rules" here!)
[*]should they come before the Providence or after?
[/list]
Cheers

Gareth

Compressor first, as (1) it may boost noise if placed after the Overdrive, and (2) it will help the Octave to track more smoothly.

If you put the Overdrive after the Octave you may lose a lot of the octave-down signal, unless you have a blend control.

So I suggest: Compressor > Overdrive > Octave

Hi Gareth

If you are using the preamp as a switch box are you wanting to use all the MXR boxes with all your basses? If so, wouldn't your bass station need to be first?

I'd go Providence, compressor, overdrive, octave and see how it sounds, then experiment with compressor placement.

Cheers

Steve

i would experiment with the positioning of the Providence pedal and the compression. see how it sounds with the providence 1st and last. see what happens with the compressor at the start and the end. you're not using an envelope filter so the normal reason to not compress 1st is if you're running into an envelope filter. some people will still compress at the end, but Japanaxe makes a good point about boosting the noise from the OD pedal (assuming it creates hum), especially if you are using a separate preamp pedal too. It will be interesting to see how the compressor effects the Octave pedal