Why become a member? ×

First time builder looking for suggestions.

Joebethell

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

So it has been a long wait but my pickups have finally arrived.

So that is a pair of Darkstars! bridge and neck with Fender spacing and custom coil taps. I have to say just looking at the quality of the work that Curtis has done I'm very pleased i waited to have them made.
Im looking forward to fitting them unfortunately with work and then the small matter of Glastonbury I'm probably only going to have the time to do some drawing of plans for placement etc.

here is a quick snap straight out the packet.

Edited by Joebethell

So with my pickups arriving I have come to a a point where I could just throw it all together as it is or take it to the next level. Watching some of the other builds on basschat has made me want to give it a try so I'm going to strip back the body to bare wood fill the existing pickup and control cavity then fit an exotic wood top

I'm hoping to take a few mill off the body I have as it seems to be a nice piece of alder or ash I will then fill the pickup and control cavity fit a top to the existing body (I'm guessing 5mm or thicker) then route new pickup cavities and a rear control cavity.

• 1 month later...

Right it has been a while but I am making some progress. I have the body stripped of its damaged poly(I don't want to be doing that again anytime soon.... Talk about effort!) and I have ordered a nice bit of wood to add to the top. So hopefully I will have some exciting pictures to put up

[quote name='Joebethell' timestamp='1437669266' post='2828087']
Right it has been a while but I am making some progress. I have the body stripped of its damaged poly(I don't want to be doing that again anytime soon.... Talk about effort!) and I have ordered a nice bit of wood to add to the top. So hopefully I will have some exciting pictures to put up
[/quote]

Yes that is a miserable job isn't it? :lol:

Yeah it took far to long and means I'm going to have to do a few small repairs around the edges from when I got impatient but I think it will look great. I'm hoping to Get the plane out on Sunday and maybe some sanding as well but as a minimum I shall start some plans and templates to make sure it will build up correctly after the wood work.

Edited by Joebethell

• 2 weeks later...

Progress has been made with the help of a friend who happens to make funtiure and kitchens letting me use his workshop for an hour or two I now have a two piece top gluing and a body that is down my 8.5mm ready to have it attached

Edited by Joebethell

Yeah I'm looking forward to getting the top on the body and then trying routing for the first time! The top is laurel burl and it has a lovely bit of flame to it as well. I'm hoping after all the hard work is down to try and get a really pro finish maybe even add some colour to it!