Why become a member? ×

GONE Fender Mustangmaster ©®™ 1977/8 Vintage 30" goodness
£350

Paul S

Time to move on my Fender Mustangmaster©®™ bass.

I bought this a couple of years ago as a Fender Musicmaster, black with maple neck, rosewood fretboard. Pretty much all original and I didn't pay a great deal for it considering it is a pucker vintage Fender. Once I got it home I realised why it was cheap - I discovered it has a crack in the upper bout caused, I think, by someone trying to force an oversized strap pin screw into it. That crack had evidently been fixed a long while ago but not moved since.

I decided to mod it - I had Howard (The Bass Doc formerly of this parish) rout out a bit to fit a Precision pickup into it - a Wizard Trad - with new scratchplate, KiOgon wiring loom and new knobs. Decided to rename it a Mustangmaster ©®™ due to its hybrid nature - sound-wise it is very much like a Mustang. Fairly lightweight at 8lbs, 38mm at the nut. 30" scale. Beautifully balanced on a strap. Fairly aggressive tone but capable of old school thump as you would expect. The rich colour of the maple neck is absolutely gorgeous - something you cannot fake. There are a few dings and scratches but nothing major and certainly nothing that affects the way this plays.

The crack hasn't budged since I have owned it. I don't think it will but I make no guarantees - hence the stupidly low price.

I am asking £350 collected from SS7, £25 for next day courier to mainland UK. Meet half way or possibly deliver for fuel costs if not far. bank transfer or no fee Paypal.

I still have the original scratchplate that is still fitted with the original (stratocaster!) pickup, wiring and knobs - these are included in the sale should anyone wish to return it to its original condition and flog off the modded bits.

Any questions, please ask. If you are local, or even if you aren't, and want to see it and try it you are most welcome.

Consider some trades - wouldn't hurt to ask. Amps heads, lighting, passive mixer, Squier Katana bass, Fender JB-92M 32" scale jazz.

Pics show it as it was when I bought it plus a couple as it is now - firstly Musicmaster

[attachment=187345:musicmaster1.jpg][attachment=187346:musicmaster2.jpg][attachment=187347:musicmaster3.jpg][attachment=187348:musicmaster4.jpg][attachment=187349:musicmaster5.jpg][attachment=187350:musicmaster6.jpg][attachment=187351:musicmaster7.jpg][attachment=187352:musicmaster8.jpg][attachment=187355:musicmaster9.jpg][attachment=187356:musicmaster10.jpg][attachment=187357:musicmaster11.jpg][attachment=187358:musicmaster12.jpg]

and as it is now

[attachment=187353:Mustangmaster1.jpg][attachment=187354:Mustangmaster2.jpg]

Edited by Paul S

I can't quite work out the extent of the crack. Does it run from the strap pin to under the pickguard (as far as the pickup cavity?), as though the whole top section of the upper horn has almost been sheared off?

Its not as bad as that, I will try to take clearer pictures tomorrow. There is a mark that runs along the body to the scratchplate, shown in the picture, but that is a line in the paint finish where the lacquer has started to form a kind of ridge and not connected to what is going on with the upper horn.

One thing puzzles me - now I look at it closely again - if it was a crack made as I described then there would be evidence of the crack on the outer part of the body, and that is intact. The paint has not been refinished.

Anyway, clearer pictures should help.

Hi bigjohn - I should have said Katana bass, sorry.

More pics. The line on the body that goes to the scratchplate is just part of the lacquer cracks you'd expect, rather than anything to do with what is going on with the inside of the horn.

I am actually completely puzzled now. My explanation of forcing an oversized screw into the strap pin doesn't hold up to what is actually there. In some ways it doesn't actually look like a crack, more like something has dribbled down the horn (ooh matron etc :) ) Nothing on the outer edge whatsoever. No idea. Short of removing the strap pin and rubbing down the paint to see what is going on underneath, I don't think it is clear.

[attachment=187383:mustangmaster3.jpg][attachment=187384:mustangmaster4.jpg][attachment=187385:mustangmaster5.jpg][attachment=187386:mustangmaster6.jpg]

Edited by Paul S