Why become a member? ×

Lyrics - Where to start?

CamdenRob

I started by setting poems to music.

Then I started writing poems, totally variable in quality but getting a feel for words. Then I found a line and an idea that I thought might work and turned that into a verse and a tune. Having got that far it was down to hard work in trying to take the idea forward.

I find having a Zoom recorder or similar handy is a great aid. You can noodle and nurdle words and tunes and not worry about remembering them later (I always forget them). For me the danger is deciding too early on the tune or the words, I try and work on both together until one is fixed but the other is at least partway complete.

Steve

PS Futurelearn are starting an online course on songwriting sometime in the summer.

[quote name='CamdenRob' timestamp='1426240015' post='2715933']
I've got to the humming a melody and a few random words part but I'm struggling to form that into a coherant set of lyrics. Maybe I've just
[/quote]

Yes lyrics were never that coherent, but it never did them any harm.....the human mind finds patterns in the strangest of things!

[quote name='oggiesnr' timestamp='1426545399' post='2719276']

I find having a Zoom recorder or similar handy is a great aid.
[/quote]

I sometimes record words into my phone so that I can remember them , I have just gone to my phone now to listen back to a few , and one is quite good , but was supposed to be for the BC composition challenge 2 months ago :o