Why become a member? ×

Fretless choice

brummie

Hi,
I'm after a fretless and have narrowed it down to 2, a Squier modified jazz or an Ibanez SR300dxf, I've played both briefly and like the them the same but want both that extreme MWAH sound and the more supptle Jaco sound, from the chance I had the Ibee had the Mwaa but the jazz had the suppltleness.
Has anyone had more experience with one or both that can point me further in the right direction to save me extra legwork - I'd really appreciate it.
cheers.

+1 for the Squier VMF jazz. You could even get a Sadowsky outboard preamp pedal to save all that mucking around with wiring :)

Other option is to watch the for sale board on here. Excellent fretless basses do pop up quite often on here, as many people try fretless and some don't take to it so re sell almost unused instruments.

Squire any day. I bought mine about a year ago and since then my 2 american Fenders (1 j and 1 p) have hardly left there cases in that time. Expect to see one or both of them up here for sale sometime soon.

Seriously, for the money meets quality ratio the Squire is unbeatable.

If you can get on with the body shape (I can't - it puts the first fret too far away on the strap and none of the high notes are particularly comfortable above the 15th fret) the go for the Squier. If you intend to upgrade the electronics for an active (and I'd recommend the ACG filter pre over the J-retro for a fretless) you may well need to route out the control cavity as the bodies are slightly thinner than a 'real' Fender Jazz and therefore the control cavity is correspondingly shallower.