Why become a member? ×

Playing on the back of a moving vehicle

danthevan

I doubt anybody has thought about it.
Rubber tyres wont help,in fact the opposite all it needs is a circuit, if the genny malfunctions, your getting fried.
Earthing is a protection, the idea is the current heads to earth instead of using you as an earth.

Not having an earth wont protect you from electrocution, in fact it makes it much more likely to happen, thats why we went from two wires to three in the 70's.

Edited by spacey

Could you not diffuse an mp3 and mime..? It's much simpler.

A decent genny will have an earthing point, which should be connected to 'ground', or, in this case, to the flatbed. The planking, if it's wood, will likely be an insulation, however, so you'd be insulated anyway. Major earthing shocks are not a common occurrence with this type of equipment, as long as it's installed by someone competent.

Miming is still much, much simpler. :mellow:

The 'earth' is the chassis of the flatbed - its a reference potential, rather than actual dirt. The fact it sits on rubber tyres doesnt matter.

Connect the 'earth' of the generator to the chassis of the flatbed. Any leakage current to 'earth' will then trip your protection - which you must make sure you have. I think RCD's work on the fact that current in the live conductor must be equal and opposite to the current in the neutral conductor. If this is not the case, then the current flow is 'probably' going through what should be dead metal (eg appliance chassis) and this causes the RCD to operate.

There must be a 'safeish' way of doing it, as it's been done by plenty in the past.
The other thing i was thinking of was a sinewave inverter, but not sure what size it would need to be to run 3 amps and a PA, and whether there would still be the same earthing issues.
Liking the iPod idea although don't quite think it would cut it!

Makes no odds what you stand on...you've metal strings in your hands.

Running a generator can be done as safely as being in a fixed instalation. Using an inverter will still need your 'earthing' and protection to be properly considered as the fault current will still be enough to turn your hair curly.

People live on canal boats with 240V supplies - and standard practice is to have an isolated connection to the shoreline 240V supply. In other words true 'earth' isn't connected to the boat 'earth'.

Earth of the generator connected to flatbed chassis, connected to the earth of your equipment mains plug. Proper protection in place and its all good.

The issue is, the Human body creates a very good earth conducting point, it is a bag of water, hence why so many people get electrocuted each year.
240v, no actual earth point (clue is in the name "EARTH") is in my opnion playing a bit close to the wind.
Add in the fact it might start raining and you have all the recipee for a fry up.

Spacey - Yes we conduct electricity very well.

240V with no earth point is not a problem in itself - look at your dvd player for instance - lots of those units with METAL cases have two wires in only - no earth. Those cases float.

Earth desn't have to be dirt. There is NO connection to true earth / ground / dirt on a canal boat for instance - and people aren't being randomly electrocuted on those. You just need a reference point for your protection circuits to operate against.

The typical domestic protection operates due to an imbalance in current flow between the 'live' conductors. The green / yellow conductor is just a voltage reference point. The Earth only forms a return path when one of the other live conductor develops a fault whereby it comes into contact with the earthed chassis of an appliance (for instance).

If it rains and you're stood outside with essentially 'open' electrical equipment, then you want your bumps felt.

Charic - wireless is fine until you touch your amp to check why its gone off.

Wireless also means that should an amp develop a fault - the indication of that fault is that it goes quiet - but the amp stays energised with its case possibly live. What the first thing you do? Go and have a fiddle with the knobs. Cue curly hair.

Edited by amnesia

A canal boat has a correctly fitted and referenced RCD circuit by a qualified electrician,
Somehow I think the Generater will be just lifted on the lorry ten minutes before to stop it getting nicked and a four way slung out.
Comapring this to a correctly fitted system and saying it will be fine, never really works out in the real world, what you going to do if the Genny is not bonded to the lorry and tested by an electrician and signed off with a certificate.
Hope for the best is the answer .

[quote name='spacey' timestamp='1425993635' post='2713149']
A canal boat has a correctly fitted and referenced RCD circuit by a qualified electrician, - You can do all your own wiring on a boat. There are rules but nowhere near as controlled as a normal domestic property.
Somehow I think the Generater will be just lifted on the lorry ten minutes before to stop it getting nicked and a four way slung out.
Comapring this to a correctly fitted system and saying it will be fine, never really works out in the real world, what you going to do if the Genny is not bonded to the lorry and tested by an electrician and signed off with a certificate.
[/quote]

A slight off-topic distraction - You can do all your own wiring on a boat. There are rules but nowhere near as controlled as a normal domestic property.

I'm not suggesting just a plug and play approach - obviously it needs to be checked by someone who knows what they are doing, but who do you get to do it? A domestic sparky? An autoelectrician? I'd have no problem running a generator on a flatbed, but my background would give me the confidence to know it was safe (or not).

Edited by amnesia

[quote name='spacey' timestamp='1425993635' post='2713149']
A canal boat has a correctly fitted and referenced RCD circuit by a qualified electrician,
[/quote]

Indeed, or if the lorry is driven by someone with no adequate training or licence, a major accident could ensue, maiming or killing many innocent bystanders. :rolleyes:
The clue is in the term 'competent'. If it's, as you suggest, lashed up by just anyone, there's a potential hazard. If it's done correctly, by a competent, experienced person, the risks are mitigated. Everything in life has potential to go badly wrong. Should we all stay in bed..? :unsure:

Someone qualified to sign off 240V equipment, I am sure they are some regulations as to who can do such work .
However I can not see them going to any such lenghs, these things are usually organised by people who smoke too much gear to worry about the band getting electrocuted :scratch_one-s_head: .
Then the other sceanrio, billy bodgit wires it up and says its fine, is he is going to prison if anything goes wrong ?.
I would say, battery amps, it is going to need a fair sized genny to power a full band and PA rig, then there is the issue of it frying your bespoke amp head if it breaks and goes native.