Why become a member? ×

Where do I solder this wire?

P-T-P

Just changing the pickguard on my Lakland Duck Dunn and the wire which connects the tone pot to the volume pot has come loose.

What do I need to solder it to?

Pic below...

[attachment=12184:IMG_0132.JPG]

Any help, much appreciated.

Looking at your pic, I would suggest it was soldered (badly) to the output tab on the Jack socket where other other green wire meets it.

Put it back there.

While your at it with your solder and wire out, you might want to put a seperate earth wire linking the bodies of both pots to the earth at the jack. Whilst the copper shielding is providing this at the moment, I'm not sure I'd rely on that means alone......

Thanks for all the replies. Lakland's tech guy sent me a wiring diagram which showed that it should connect to the same tab on the volume pot as the red pick-up wire.

Interestingly, though it also worked if connected to the middle tab of the volume pot.

Which got me thinking about how little I really know about this kinda thing so anyone care to give me a layman's explanation of how the signal flows to the jack via both pots and the capacitor.

Does the tone pot and capacitor, in effect, bleed off the treble, 'cause to me there's no obvious throughput of the signal?

Edited by P-T-P

[quote name='P-T-P' post='264526' date='Aug 18 2008, 02:20 PM']Does the tone pot and capacitor, in effect, bleed off the treble, 'cause to me there's no obvious throughput of the signal?[/quote]
Yup. In essence, the cap presents a resistance that's of different magnitudes depending on the frequency; for the treble parts of the signal, it's pretty low, for the bass, it's kinda high.

Then the cap is in series with the tone pot, which means you can vary the apparent resistance. When the pot is at max, the resistance is high for both bass and treble, and all parts of the signal find it's easier to go through the amp; with the pot at zero, resistance is still high for the bass, so that still goes through the amp, but it's low for the treble, so that is essentially shorted through the cap/tone pot, and doesn't reach the amp.

Was that laymanny enough?

Also, the important thing is that the tone circuit connects the "hot" and "ground" parts of the circuit; it doesn't matter much if the connection to "hot" comes between the pickup and volume pot, or between the volume and output jack. I've no doubt there's /some/ difference, but it'll work either way. As you discovered.