Why become a member? ×

It's all come together!

TheRinser

So here it is, Trace V-Type pre and PPA300 bought from Gwilym, peavey 4x10 bought from jhk yesterday, AH600SMX bought from John Giblin a couple of years ago and a peavey 2x10 from funnyfreddie back on bassworld.

Now depending on which band I'm playing with I can use whichever amp is most suitable with just the 2x10 for little gigs, medium gigs with the 4x10 and big gigs with the pair of them.

And it sound great, I thought the 2x10 and 15 handled the low B fine, but with this new setup I've realised what I've been missing out on.

Lovely, if I may say so myself :) The only downside is the weight, but frankly I can't justify spending loads on state of the art stuff, so while I'm young and my back holds out I reckon I'll manage and spend the rest on beer and pizzas. :huh:

Cheers,

Tom

Merton - I'm really enjoying using the V-Type for recording, I haven't had a chance to gig it yet. The last couple of sessions I've done were with Silver Leaf and Pellow, both on fretless. The Pellow tracks are up on his myspace now if you fancy giving it a listen (i think they're still unmixed though and the bass seems way boomier on the myspace than the mp3s I have...).

I find for fretted bass I prefer the AH600 though, usually just with the EQ off. The fretless works nicely with it too but for most of the stuff I'm doing at the moment it's a little too hifi.

Jazz - I'm not looking forward to the day my back gives up, can't beat the trace tone though!

Ferret - Surely I'm still mixing drivers? Although they're all tens it's eminence betas in the 2x10 and peavey ones in the 410, and the enclosures themselves are surely tuned differently anyway? Whatever's going on I'm enjoying the sound. The 15 never really did it for me, even by itself, was hoping it'd have a lot more lowend than it did, sounded almost more midrangey than the 210, or at least had a less 'round' sounding bottom end but without the punchier highs of the 210.

Edit - By the way, the pellow tracks with fretless and v-type on are piece of mind and absent mind!

Cheers!

Edited by TheRinser

[quote name='TheRinser' post='262347' date='Aug 14 2008, 12:32 PM']...........Ferret - Surely I'm still mixing drivers? Although they're all tens it's eminence betas in the 2x10 and peavey ones in the 410, and the enclosures themselves are surely tuned differently anyway? Whatever's going on I'm enjoying the sound. The 15 never really did it for me, even by itself, was hoping it'd have a lot more lowend than it did, sounded almost more midrangey than the 210, or at least had a less 'round' sounding bottom end but without the punchier highs of the 210............[/quote]
You are probably right - I was being a bit facetious. Its not the tuning frequency that matters though, but how the outputs of the two cabs are summed. Phase changes with frequency and if it changes at different frequencies for different cabs thats when you get phase cancellation and 'unpredictable' sound. When that is a function of cabs or drivers or both I dont know - thats where Alex cames in.

Does disprove the big cabs go lower myth.

Ray - I think all things considered I prefer the AH600. I've had it long enough to know how to get a great tone out of it whatever I'm working with, and the tone with everything flat is a great starting point. It just sounds, for want of a better word, right. For me anyway.

The V-Type is good at what it does, but from what I'd read about the V-type I was expecting some kind of amazing tube tone straight off the bat. It just doesn't seem as versatile and I find the EQ a bit limited, but then I'm comparing it to a 12 band... The other pro for the V-type is the weight, the AH600 is a monster. It's heavier than the 2x10! Also, I think I prefer the tube breakup on the AH600 to that of the V-type. Maybe I just need to change the tubes or something?

Ferret - Fair enough, I'd like to hear Alex and Bill's opinions regarding this setup compared to a 210/115 setup. I don't know about dispelling the myth entirely, but in this case it was, at least to my ears.

I spent a fair bit of time yesterday playing through the V-type, and for the rockier stuff I think it will be more appropriate. There's definitely a naturally bassier tone to it compared to the AH600. I did enjoy it very much though :) What valves would you suggest? I want one that'll break up when I really dig in, but a generally clean, fat, valvey tone otherwise.

Cheers,

Tom

I'll check what's in oth of mine and let you know! I *think* I have Rubys in the 1x15.

If you can find any Sylvanias they are bloody great, I had one which I put in the 12-band head I used ot own, loved it and it really growled nicely. Wish I hadn't sold the head with that valve :)