Why become a member? ×

FEELER: Wal Pro II passive

jtb

I'm considering offering my 'owned-from-new' 1981 Pro II(passive) Serial No. PB1158 for sale if I get a fair offer. Sunburst finish with some checking in the lacquer on the front and back of the body. Neck is in excellent condition, bar a couple of hairline cracks in the varnish on and near the headstock, electrics are original and perfect and the instrument has been sitting in its CP Cases flightcase since it was overhauled and refurbished by Pete Stevens about ?? years ago! This is just a 'feeler' for now but if anyone is seriously interested, drop me a line and I'll send more pics.

[attachment=12037:wal_002.jpg]

[attachment=12038:wal_009.jpg]

[attachment=12039:wal_015.jpg]

Edited by jtb

[quote name='BassManKev' post='261675' date='Aug 13 2008, 04:22 PM']not sure iv ever heard a passive wal before...how do they compare?[/quote]

I had a fretless passive Pro II a long while ago and I remember it had a lovely rich, tonal sound.

Edited by loweringthetone

[quote name='BassManKev' post='261675' date='Aug 13 2008, 04:22 PM']not sure iv ever heard a passive wal before...how do they compare?[/quote]

very versatile for a passive instrument - individual vol and tone controls plus master volume, 3-way pickup selector and series/parallel coil switching for each pickup. Hours of fun! The overall character of the sound with everything on 10 is VERY fat and round but there's plenty of mid-range bark on the bridge pickup if you want it and any number of variations between the two extremes. I found it easier to get a good solid tone with the passive rather than active version but that's just my personal experience.

Ever heard Leigh Gorman of Bow Wow Wow? Then you've heard a passive Wal. Almost all of the stuff he's recorded is done with one. Which is why I want one!

[quote name='jtb' post='261895' date='Aug 13 2008, 08:30 PM']very versatile for a passive instrument - individual vol and tone controls plus master volume, 3-way pickup selector and series/parallel coil switching for each pickup. Hours of fun! The overall character of the sound with everything on 10 is VERY fat and round but there's plenty of mid-range bark on the bridge pickup if you want it and any number of variations between the two extremes. I found it easier to get a good solid tone with the passive rather than active version but that's just my personal experience.[/quote]

Leigh thought the same. He bought a Custom as a backup but ended up selling it because he didn't like it as much. I know because he told me! He now has another passive.

[quote name='4000' post='261911' date='Aug 13 2008, 08:43 PM']Leigh thought the same. He bought a Custom as a backup but ended up selling it because he didn't like it as much. I know because he told me! He now has another passive.[/quote]
Absolutely spot on!

Apart from being a genius of a bass player, Leigh has always managed to get an amazing sound out his Wals.. He bought my very early JG series Pro2 back in 1998 and it's his main gigging bass these days, though he does still have his original that he did all the BowWowWow records with..

Though the Pro 2's are described as 'passive', they actually have quite a lot of circuitry in them, a bit like a Peavey T-40 in a way. So although there's no battery, the electronics do create a lot of distinctive tones..

[quote name='silverfoxnik' post='262066' date='Aug 13 2008, 11:39 PM']Absolutely spot on!

Apart from being a genius of a bass player, Leigh has always managed to get an amazing sound out his Wals.. He bought my very early JG series Pro2 back in 1998 and it's his main gigging bass these days, though he does still have his original that he did all the BowWowWow records with..

Though the Pro 2's are described as 'passive', they actually have quite a lot of circuitry in them, a bit like a Peavey T-40 in a way. So although there's no battery, the electronics do create a lot of distinctive tones..[/quote]

Ah, so he got it from you...good man! I've only corresponded via email; must've been nice to meet him (assuming you did). Seems like a really nice bloke.

He's one of my favourite players of all time, and criminally underrated; I think he gets some [i]incredible[/i] tones and his playing is utterly unique. I couldn't believe it when I found out his bass was passive; even with studio jiggery-pokery I'd have sworn that was an active bass. Whenever I'm testing basses out there are a couple of his lines I use; I've been trying to nail the tone on "Mile High Club" for years and never have (even my Wal Custom couldn't cop it). I was watching the Liverpool '82 concert last night and his tone on there seems to be incredibly thin and trebly and yet fat and growly at the same time. Great stuff.

[quote name='4000' post='262140' date='Aug 14 2008, 07:59 AM']Ah, so he got it from you...good man! I've only corresponded via email; must've been nice to meet him (assuming you did). Seems like a really nice bloke.

He's one of my favourite players of all time, and criminally underrated; I think he gets some [i]incredible[/i] tones and his playing is utterly unique. I couldn't believe it when I found out his bass was passive; even with studio jiggery-pokery I'd have sworn that was an active bass. Whenever I'm testing basses out there are a couple of his lines I use; I've been trying to nail the tone on "Mile High Club" for years and never have (even my Wal Custom couldn't cop it). I was watching the Liverpool '82 concert last night and his tone on there seems to be incredibly thin and trebly and yet fat and growly at the same time. Great stuff.[/quote]
+1

As we're going off topic here I've sent you a PM..