Why become a member? ×

**SOLD** Fender Custom Shop 1955 Precision Ltd Ed Relic - 2013
£2000

Chiliwailer

This is a bass I never expected to list for sale. Unfortunatey one of my basses has to go as due to a new car purchase I need some much needed cash flow back in the bank. Out of my 4 electric basses, this one easily has the most amount of mojo and amazing stand out tone. However I also have a Mike Lull Precision and even though the Relic sounds far better than the Lull, the Lull is ergonomically perfect for me and due to long standing physical issues I need to go for comfort over tone. It's not an easy choice having to chose from a bunch of basses I love. I can't complain though, the Lull is still a great bass and covers all things Precision for me. Plus, at the end of the day, these are only bits of wood and no matter how good and pretty they are, they're just tools for a job. ([u]DISCLAIMER[/u] - As much as I mean that, I am a fickle creature and will definitely withdraw this bass for sale if I can sort out my finances).

According to Fender when I emailed them, 35 of these were made in 2013 as a brief limited edition run. It's a black over sunburst Relic finish, with a gorgous soft V shaped quartersawn neck which is super comfortable and plays a huge part in the basses sound. This Precision has the [b]BIGGEST[/b] tone I have ever had from a Fender Bass, and I've had a lot of Fender Basses over the years. It has a very light weight ash body and a maple neck/fingerboard. This combination when matched with the stacked Custom Shop pickup means that this bass has huge subs, clarity and a weighty punch that gives a 'don't f*** with the bass player' type tone. I love the way this bass makes me think about playing, the sound fills the room so deeply that one note can go for miles, I'm going to miss that.

It weighs in at seriously light 7.30lbs without the covers and 7.59lbs with the covers on. It comes with the Limited Edition case and case candy including certificate, lead, tags, cloth, strap and pics. It's been well loved and is in great condition - aside from the factory Relicing of course...

One man's loss is certainly another man's gain.

[u][b]EDIT - Clicking on any picture will take you to the photobucket album with loads more pics[/b][/u]

[url="http://s1381.photobucket.com/user/chiliwailer/media/CS%2055/P1060958_zps1lwsua9b.jpg.html"][/url]
[url="http://s1381.photobucket.com/user/chiliwailer/media/CS%2055/P1060392_zpsbngbemlt.jpg.html"][/url]
[url="http://s1381.photobucket.com/user/chiliwailer/media/CS%2055/P1060963_zps4rpt6gpw.jpg.html"][/url]
[url="http://s1381.photobucket.com/user/chiliwailer/media/CS%2055/P1060967_zpsrnkmenws.jpg.html"][/url] Edited by Chiliwailer

[quote name='IanA' timestamp='1423245062' post='2682793']
That is a sweet sweet bass, given the choice between that and a Mike Lull.......
[/quote]

Agreed. If it wasn't for my neck and back issues the Lull would be up for sale for sure. No comparison between the two.

Fender Custom Shop Limited Relic 1955 Precision Bass Specs:
Color: Black Over 3-Color Sunburst
Body Material: Select Lightweight Ash
Body Finish: Nitrocellulose Lacquer
Neck Material: Quartersawn Maple
Neck Finish: Nitrocellulose Lacquer
Neck Shape: 1955 Soft “V”
Scale Length: 34˝ (864 mm)
Fingerboard Radius: 7.25˝ (184.1 mm)
Number of Frets: 20
Fret Size: Vintage-Style
Nut Width: 1.7˝ (43.2 mm)
Position Inlays: Black Dot
Middle Pickup: Custom Shop Stacked ’51 Precision Bass
Controls: Master Volume, Master Tone
Hardware Finish: Chrome
Bridge: 2-Saddle ’50s Vintage-Style with Steel Barrel-Style Saddles
Tuning Machines: American Vintage Reverse Open-Gear Bass
Pickguard: 1-Ply Parchment
Included Accessories: Limited Edition Case, Strap, Cable, Custom Shop Picks, Limited Edition Certificate of Authenticity, Polishing Cloth
. Edited by Chiliwailer

[quote name='hiram.k.hackenbacker' timestamp='1423248903' post='2682858']
I'm almost stunned to see that you're selling this mate, but completely understand why.

Any propective buyers should get in quick before he changes his mind. It's a seriously good piece of kit and I can say that you can buy with absolute confidence from this man as I speak from experience.
[/quote]

Thanks, buddy, much appreciated,

To say that I'm p***ed off about this sale would be a huge understatement. I never thought I'd have to get rid of any of my basses and choosing which one to let go of has been hard as hell. Fingers crossed I can work out a way financially to keep hold of it. Believe me, I'm on it but need to list this bass in the meantime just in case it definitely has to sell.

[quote name='Billy Apple' timestamp='1423249895' post='2682871']
Interested in any trades?
[/quote]

Probably not mate, only selling this due to cash flow. I guess in the spirit of things PM's are always welcomed with trade options as there could be that rare instance that something soecial turns up. Seriously doubt I'll trade but why say never?