Why become a member? ×

eden 550

jimmybass04

hi there, just a question regarding running my amp with various cabs.
I have an eden 550 and i am using a 1x 12 500 watt 4ohm cab.
would it be ok for me to link up another 4 ohm cab,and then the amp would be running at 2ohms, giving me the full 750 watts from the amp.I was thinking of buying an aggie 1x12 cab to add in.
I think iv got this right from the amp spec, but not being tech minded i wanted to make sure i was doing the right thing.
cheers guys. jimmy.

Hi Jimmy!

If this is the amp you're speaking of:

[url="http://www.eden-electronics.com/products/amps/indiv/wt550.aspx"]http://www.eden-electronics.com/products/a...ndiv/wt550.aspx[/url]

Then your logic is sound. I've run my Eden wt330 at 2 ohms in the past and it was fine.

Jennifer

My old WT300 really didn't like running at 4 ohms (although it was in the spec) and would go into thermal protection if you just looked at it funny. Now I'm sure the newer WT550 is made to cope better, but do check the manual first to see if they explicitly say its ok below 4 ohms - even if it is, don't be surprised if it shuts down when you really push it. When that does happen, it usually resets after about 5 mins cooling time so its no biggie - just turn down a bit and/or take some low end off the eq. The DI still works even in shutdown.

BB

[quote name='jimmybass04' post='260479' date='Aug 11 2008, 11:50 PM']right thats great, also can i run it with one 4ohm and one 8ohm cab daisy chained ?
and if so what wattage would the amp give out ?
cheers again, jimmy.[/quote]

You can do this, but I think I'm right in saying that you'll get uneven power distribution, with more power going to the 4 ohm cab (and thus more volume), but the head should be fine.

[quote name='gilmour' post='260643' date='Aug 12 2008, 10:01 AM']You can do this, but I think I'm right in saying that you'll get uneven power distribution, with more power going to the 4 ohm cab (and thus more volume), but the head should be fine.[/quote]

With a 4ohm and 8ohm cab with the amp putting out 675w, the 4ohm cab will produce approx 450w and the 8ohm cab approx 225w.