Why become a member? ×

Is there such a thing as an Industry Standard

jonunders

The industry standard for amps / cabs up until the early 80's was generally 'mush'. When Trace Elliott entered the market in the early 80's, it set a new standard for bass amplification. For me, TE has defined the 'modern' industry standard for bass amplification.

Edited by zero9

While i don't fully agree with it I would say that there is for sure an "industry standard" for basses. I have been asked many times to "bring a fender P man! i need that! nothing else!", yes I agree there's countless other basses that play nicer and often actually kind of sound better. I guess that Fender set a standard and a sound that people are used to. I do tend to think that people asking to "bring a P!" are just often lazy , because it'll sound good as is, they won't need to do anything to it. On the other hand in the real world , time is money...and i'm not sure some one would get a call back if the engineer spent big extra time eq and adding stuff to it to get it right while it could have been done in 1 second with a Fender.

A mate of mine has been playing with the band Coast, and I lent him my Geddy Lee to use on the tour. He loved it and said all the rest of the band commented on how it sat in the mix so much better than previous guys basses had. They all loved the woody, ethereal sound that comes from an instrument not of the active leanings. ;)