Why become a member? ×

Fender AVRI 62 Jazz Bass - Decal peeling off!...

bakerster135

So I was using my Jazz Bass at the weekend, and at one point I noticed that part of the "Offset Contour Body" part of the decal seemed to have moved. I poked it, and it slid off entirely! I'll post pics later on, but I am now left only a small part of that decal section remaining...

Has anyone else experienced this with any of the American Vintage Fenders? I know for authenticity they apply the decals directly to the headstock on 60s guitars and basses, but this seems a bit shoddy!

I'm thinking of going down the root of having this verified by an "Authorised Fender Distributor", and trying to get a replacement decal applied. If anyone has gone down this root before, and knows somewhere in London to have this done, please can you let me know. I'd appreciate some advice because it sounds like a pain in the a**e!

Thanks,
Al

Sorry to hear that, and sorry - I don't know any authorised dealers in London
I have seen various "unofficial" decals for sale online though
I mention it, as presumably these are easier to source than genuine Fender decals...

If you know for certain that the bass really is what it's thought to be
You could consider a DIY job, picking up one of these unofficial decals
If you know the bass is genuine, then that's good enough (unless you come to sell it on, of course)

It's said in the modelling world (tanks, planes, trains etc not the other modelling)
That transfers and decals are best applied to a glossy surface, for better adhesion....

As your bass is a '62, I wondered whether the decal had been replaced at some point anyway
As you'd have thought it would have come off before now? Or there would have been some signs that it was about to do so

Good luck with it anyway
Let us know what you find and what you decide

Edited by Marc S

Thanks guys! Just to confirm, I have no doubt about the authenticity of the bass. A little bit of research has revealed that American Vintage Reissues (at least post-2000) have the waterslide decal directly applied, not glossed over...

It's apparently the case that if I take some photos of the bass and a trace of the neckplate "V" serial #, then take this to an authorised Fender dealer, they should be able to source an official replacement decal (and hopefully apply it!).

I just wondered if anyone else had been through this process, whether it worked out, and how easy/difficult it was?...

Edited by bakerster135