Why become a member? ×

Help identifying Trace Elliot cabs?

Mr. Creepy

Heres a picture of the full stack. The amp is an AH500X, and the brightbox is... well its a brightbox...

But I don't have a clue what era the cabs are from. Theres a 1048 on top and a 1518 on the bottom, but what era are they from? the red stripes say one thing, but the really old style labels say another and I don't know trace elliot gear that well.

can anyone help?

cheers

ps. I can't read the numbers or anything as I haven't picked this rig up yet. What you see is what I see.

I'd say the cabs are in-keeping with the age ('86 - '89 ish) of the head, the tens look to be the early version of the Celestion driver (some very early ten-inch cabs were fane loaded) and the 15 is the larger box size which has the Fane component inside.

Later versions of the 4x10 had the updated Celestion speaker from aboout '90 (smaller dome, different edging, higher power handling up to 80w from 50w amongst other things) in this style box and then the slightly larger enclosure from around '92 till '02 with round ports which also came with an HF component. The current model is from 2005 onwards and comes with different style cabinet and higher power handling Celestions.

The 1x15* which followed this (again from about 1992) came loaded with a 300w BX series derived Celestion in a slightly smaller box to pair with the 4x10 of the same period. Again, the current 1x15 is from '05 on, is styled to fit with other cabs in the range and now boasts a 500w Celestion.

* Refers to standard size 1x15 cabs, not the compact size older model 1152 and 1153 or current model 1518C cabinets.

Edited by VTypeV4

The cabs are series 6 by the looks of the grilles, Mk V's had the black pressed steel 'Fire guard' grill.
The 1518 has a Fane 15" which pre-dates the change over to PD's & before the Celestion Kevlar impreg. jobs, so I'd put that cab at @1989?
All in all, a nice tidy 'Classic' Trace stack.

Hope you've got a sack barrow to cart in all around? ;-)