Why become a member? ×

Can anyone identify this Precision pickup, please?

Jazzneck

Can anyone identify this Precision pickup, please?

It's been in my spares box since 1996 and it was second hand then - I think it's a real Fender but what and how old?

Cloth covered wires, brass base plate, grey composite bobin bases stamped in black 21 18 82.

The pole pieces have signs of being varnished.

It is fully operational but I can't measure ohmage or henrys

Any ideas / opinions, please?

Edited by Jazzneck

[quote name='ikay' timestamp='1421343177' post='2660197']
These look to be 1982 Fender pups (middle two digits refer to week, last two digits to year)
[/quote]

They should be black bottom by 82, unless they are old stock? Could you see the 82 clearly Ian? I can't tell!

Any picks of the pole pieces or wire?

[quote name='Chiliwailer' timestamp='1421347875' post='2660267']
They should be black bottom by 82, unless they are old stock? Could you see the 82 clearly Ian? I can't tell!

Any picks of the pole pieces or wire?
[/quote]

This is getting interesting.... thanks gents.

If you click on each of the pics, a larger picture appears which shows the numbers clearly, the pole pieces are flat, not bevelled, and are not staggered in height.

The wires are cloth covered (waxy) but the "white" cloth needs pushing back up to base plate.

I'll try to get a close up tomorrow (cr*p camera permitting)

Chili, is there a book or a website I should check out, or do you have loads of knowledge about such things? :)

A bit of everything mate, I worked in the industry for a long long time and have taken apart more Fenders than I've had hot dinners!

This website is good, I think the link is a proxy as the original link has disappeared. It's used by all the top UK vintage dealers

http://guitarhq.com

Looking at the pics clearer ( not on phone!), and your description now, I think yours is a 1982 57 or 62 reissue pickup, the wires are a give away as Fender used plastic through the 70's and I think they were no longer using the brass plate by then. Then again. Strat pickups were going black by 79 so if Fender were using up old stock they may have had some spare cloth wire too? You just never know with Fender, in 68 the cloth wire was green and orange as they were using up old amp stock!

Edit - I'm not always right though!

Edited by Chiliwailer