Why become a member? ×

DI With Speaker Emulation

Blueroom Pete

For the first time in years I'm back using a range of FX on my bass signal in a live situation, the new band is a three piece and I'm trying to inject something more interesting sonically into the mix.

One thing that has occured to me however is when I start gigging with this new setup most live sound engineers in this neck of the woods are happy enough to just take a DI feed for the bass and forget about micing the amp in anyway. With a bog standard DI this is probably going to make my carefully blended overdrive and fuzz tones sound awful and fizzy.

So it occured to me that I could bring my own DI box with speaker simulation incase I can't convince the engineer to mic one of my cabs. I have a Hughes and Kettner Redbox that sits in a drawer in the studio so I was considering giving it a new lease of life on my pedal board.

Has anyone had any experience of this? I am aware that most of the circuits in these emulations are meant to model 4x12 guitar cabs so I have slight reservations on what it will do to my tone.

I think you'll have to just try it and see.

I have a Hughes & Kettner guitar amp with a built-in red box DI. When I was playing guitar in my last band, live it was plenty good enough to use and in most instances far more convenient than mic'ing up. In the studio we would use both mics and the DI and then use the sound that was most appropriate for the track.

Hi don't know if this helps but i have a redbox mk3 that i use with my old ampeg valve amp ,I take the speaker output from the amp into the speaker in of the redbox , and then the balanced di output goes to the desk . Have successfully used this combination live and studio, enables me to get the tube sound from the amp.

[quote name='Blueroom Pete' post='259689' date='Aug 11 2008, 03:20 AM']thanks everyone for the replies. It purely live use that I'm worried about. When it comes to recording I own a studio so I have an Avalon DI that I'll blend in with a nice valve mic on the cab. I just won't be taking either anywhere near a stage![/quote]

It's probably worth giving the Behringer 'Sansamp Clone' box a go for probably less than £30 although if you can A/B it with a 'real' Sansamp BDDI then that'd be good.