Why become a member? ×

Solid State Repairs

EliasMooseblaster

Seeing as I've still got 36 hours to get in an entry for the stupidest question of 2014:

Does anyone know anything about getting a solid state amp repaired in the London area?

My current cab is actually a combo with a knackered head - I've been running a valve head into the speaker cab for the last 18 months or so. All this time I kept telling myself I'd get the head fixed, so I'd have a handy backup if I, e.g., blew a valve mid-set - so now seems like a good time to make a new year's resolution.

From a bit of judicious googling, I think the problem is that the output transistors have failed. Assuming that's the correct diagnosis, are these kinds of repairs likely to be
- particularly expensive?
- particularly specific (i.e., likely to depend on a tech knowing his/her way round that manufacturer's stuff)?
- something I could do myself if I can get the parts?

Ta kindly in advance.

[quote name='EliasMooseblaster' timestamp='1419946738' post='2644182']
From a bit of judicious googling, I think the problem is that the output transistors have failed. Assuming that's the correct diagnosis, are these kinds of repairs likely to be
- particularly expensive?
- particularly specific (i.e., likely to depend on a tech knowing his/her way round that manufacturer's stuff)?
- something I could do myself if I can get the parts?
[/quote]

I think the answer to all those is "it depends" - replacing the output transistors isn't that hard provided you're proficient with disassembly and soldering, but you have to ask yourself why they failed, and if you have the skills/equipment to properly diagnose the root cause.

FWIW I've got a lot of experience fault finding electronics and some amp/speaker problems are just not DIY friendly (some definitely are though, it depends..).

For one of the non-DIY problems I hit recently (a Mackie active PA speaker with corrupted firmware), I used http://www.amphospital.co.uk/ who were good, although not particularly cheap.