Why become a member? ×

P-bass for Duck Dunn's 60's sound

Bloc Riff Nut

[quote]
[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]No, pal, the guy with the Mexican Fender refusing to trade doesn't need his head examining, he's just looking for a specific ACG that he actually wants.[/font][/color]
[/quote]

Ha! Scott apologies... it would have helped if i'd clicked onto the link showing your P Bass for sale and showing what ACG you're after... missed that part of the discussion :) my point was that someone with a mexican P bass declining to trade with an ACG (unless specifically after a particular one or a specific sound) needs to seriously consider the value of the trade and instrument they are being offered. If i owned a mexican P and someone offered me an ACG i'd drive about 200 miles that day to trade before they changed their mind! (no offence to mexican P bass owners ;) )

[quote name='The Badderer' timestamp='1419630169' post='2641505']
Ha! Scott apologies... it would have helped if i'd clicked onto the link showing your P Bass for sale and showing what ACG you're after... missed that part of the discussion :) my point was that someone with a mexican P bass declining to trade with an ACG (unless specifically after a particular one or a specific sound) needs to seriously consider the value of the trade and instrument they are being offered. If i owned a mexican P and someone offered me an ACG i'd drive about 200 miles that day to trade before they changed their mind! (no offence to mexican P bass owners ;) )
[/quote]

Hey, no apologies required, buddy, my comment was with tongue firmly in cheek and I was grinning when I sent it! (I'm a qualified mental health nurse and probably do need my head examining :D ).

• 2 weeks later...

Any decent P with a set of labella flats will get you as close as any bass will. He played various amps but mostly Ampeg, I find a little tube OD helps nail the tone perfectly for those old Stax songs. I don't put foam under the strings for that stuff, though I do to get a more Motwn than Stax vibe.

[quote name='Jazzjames' timestamp='1419543665' post='2640839']
All comments above valid. If you want to get close to his sound, i believe finding a '57 reissue P bass would be a good way to go. I have a MIJ one from the early ninties. It's great. I play it all the time. Strung with flats. One of them should be around the £500 mark.
[/quote]

Agreed MIJ 57s are ace. I've got a MIJ PB57-US strung with la bella 760FL flats. I also had a Fender Pure Vintage 58 pickup fitted along with a KiOgon period correct wiring kit - replete with a .1 uf capacitor. I reckon the whole thing owes me around £600 and it looks and sounds the bomb.