Why become a member? ×

selmer bass and treble bass head

ian

[quote name='ian' post='256547' date='Aug 6 2008, 05:55 PM']this is a original bass amp from the 60s in good condition but needs a transformer .does anyone know what it is worth please .[/quote]

Jusging by a quick check on Ebay, it could be silly money. There's a tatty one there for a "buy now or best offer" of £1895!! Ridiculous. I think collectors like the original crocodile skin covering. Probably more valuable as a collectors item then a serious piece of giggging kit. Usually only a 50 watts, so best for guitarists not bass.

Second question is where do you get a replacement transformer. The valves are ECC83's and EL34's.

Balcro.

[quote name='Balcro' post='256725' date='Aug 6 2008, 09:08 PM']Second question is where do you get a replacement transformer. The valves are ECC83's and EL34's.

Balcro.[/quote]

a second transformer might be tough to get. your best bet is probably to take it to a trusted amp tech who knows vintage gear (i'm sure someone on here can recommend one) and see what they say.

1. It's a [b][i]Treble'n'Bass 50.[/b][/i] You're more likely to find the right answers on the web with the right description.

2. Those heads were built like tanks, and were very simple in operation. Any vintage valve amp is going to give you a few headaches along the way, but I was perfectly happy to gig with my old Selmers. Bloody heavy, mind.

3. Unless you're playing the O2 or Wembley, that amp will be more than loud enough. Don't worry about the '50' label, use your ears.

4. Spares:

Music Ground, Leeds
Ampaholics, Guildford
Amps-n-Bits, Brighton

5. Value. From your description, you seem to have one of these:

[url="http://www.vintagehofner.co.uk/gallery/gallery3/gallery4/cat34.html"]http://www.vintagehofner.co.uk/gallery/gal...ery4/cat34.html[/url]

When the market was peaking a year ago, one of those in good nick would have fetched an easy £300, and could have reached £600 on the right day.

In today's market, and needing repair, you're probably looking at £200. If your amp matches the photo-link (above) and you're looking for a quick sale, I could be persuaded to make an offer ...