Why become a member? ×

Please delete.

ambient

[quote name='ambient' timestamp='1417812527' post='2624327']...
Comments are most welcome.
[/quote]

Hmm... We'll see. Firstly, though, an apology, as I was unable (or, rather, unwilling...) to listen to the whole piece throughout. I gave it 10 minutes, then 'zapped' forward for the last 10 or so. I must say that, despite having (I think..!) somewhat eclectic tastes, that this is not for me. I found myself unconsciously fumbling for the button that one has to press when enduring a hearing test, indicating the detection of a tone. OK, slightly tongue in cheek, I'll admit, and a tad unfair. I'm all for the notion of experimental music, as long as one accepts that not all experiments are successful. Sorry; I admire the attempt, but wasn't able to appreciate this. Thanks for sharing, though.

[quote name='Dad3353' timestamp='1417817026' post='2624381']
Hmm... We'll see. Firstly, though, an apology, as I was unable (or, rather, unwilling...) to listen to the whole piece throughout. I gave it 10 minutes, then 'zapped' forward for the last 10 or so. I must say that, despite having (I think..!) somewhat eclectic tastes, that this is not for me. I found myself unconsciously fumbling for the button that one has to press when enduring a hearing test, indicating the detection of a tone. OK, slightly tongue in cheek, I'll admit, and a tad unfair. I'm all for the notion of experimental music, as long as one accepts that not all experiments are successful. Sorry; I admire the attempt, but wasn't able to appreciate this. Thanks for sharing, though.
[/quote]

I think I'm maybe on the wrong forum :)

I mostly only listen to contemporary orchestral and ambient/experimental music, this kind of thing [url="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9UBWgeSJlWw"]https://www.youtube....h?v=9UBWgeSJlWw[/url] in fact I can't remember the last time I listened to anything that even had a rhythm section.

I don't even play a proper bass :)

Edited by ambient

[quote name='thebassist' timestamp='1417825515' post='2624472']
I enjoyed it. I also liked the fact that, at times, there was almost no sound at all coming through. Another success in my opinion.
[/quote]

I keep a notebook with me, and jot down random thoughts and ideas all the time. This is what I wrote down a few days ago regarding my thoughts on the music I do, (bearing in mind that it's going to form the basis for my degree's final production project).

Anyway, my intention with it is to for it to draw the listener in, and to become a part of the music, almost so that for that brief time there's only the listener and the music. Some of the parts are deliberately mixed very low, sometimes they're almost inaudible, but they're there, or maybe they aren't and your mind is inventing them :)

You really need to listen through a good pair of headphones, and it's not something you listen to with any distractions.

Maybe all the above is just arty nonsense, I'm not really bothered, that's just what I wrote, intending it for the write up that I'll have to eventually do.

This is something else that I'm listening to a lot recently - [url="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1teSrZ1LE7M"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1teSrZ1LE7M[/url]

[quote name='ambient' timestamp='1417819719' post='2624406']...I don't even play a proper bass :)
[/quote]

Well, if it's any consolation, I listened for even less long to Basinski. No, it's not you; I'm an old fuddy-duddy, schooled in old-school 'beginning, middle, end' folks such as Schubert and Bruckner. To make things worse, I'm not really a bassist, either; I'm a drummer. It's me that's the usurper, here. :blush:[size=4] [/size]

[quote name='Dad3353' timestamp='1417827145' post='2624481']
Well, if it's any consolation, I listened for even less long to Basinski. No, it's not you; I'm an old fuddy-duddy, schooled in old-school 'beginning, middle, end' folks such as Schubert and Bruckner. To make things worse, I'm not really a bassist, either; I'm a drummer. It's me that's the usurper, here. :blush:
[/quote]

We had to write songs the first year I was at university, I couldn't do it, not 'normal' songs anyway. A normal song was too constraining, I didn't want an 8 bar intro, I wanted maybe a 24 bar intro that merged into a 54 bar verse that seemlessly developed into a 32 bar chorus, that then turned back into the verse without the listener knowing anything about it 😊.

Mine always ended up as 5 plus minute long soundscapes, I was using keyboards then, but disguising everything, the drums hardly sounded like drums, and the pianos hardly sounded like pianos. Luckily my tutor was quite open minded, he used to joke that I'd invented my own genre.

This is about the only thing I have left, I deleted a lot of the stuff I recorded, there's bass on here pretending to be a guitar :)

[url="https://soundcloud.com/an-ending-ascend/sad-deep-south"]https://soundcloud.c.../sad-deep-south[/url]

Edited by ambient

[quote name='ambient' timestamp='1417828030' post='2624489']
We had to write songs the first year I was at university, I couldn't do it, not 'normal' songs anyway...
[/quote]

A genuine question, if I may. When composing and executing such pieces, how does one know when it's over..? Is there something in the composer's mind that indicates 'It's time...', or is there some 'signal', or form, that brings, to the initiated, a conclusion..? Could, indeed, one envisage a work extending much longer still, or even looping, or evolving in an infinite number of ways so as to never 'end'..? I can imagine the sound of the wind through trees, lasting a whole season. Is that a valid comparison..? Just wondering; I'm not taking a pot-shot at you. Respect, and all that. To me, it's a bit like a work of modern art that, once hung on a wall, one can't tell if it's the right way up or not (or does that not matter..? :blush:[size=4] [/size][size=4]).[/size]

[quote name='Dad3353' timestamp='1417828781' post='2624493']
A genuine question, if I may. When composing and executing such pieces, how does one know when it's over..? Is there something in the composer's mind that indicates 'It's time...', or is there some 'signal', or form, that brings, to the initiated, a conclusion..? Could, indeed, one envisage a work extending much longer still, or even looping, or evolving in an infinite number of ways so as to never 'end'..? I can imagine the sound of the wind through trees, lasting a whole season. Is that a valid comparison..? Just wondering; I'm not taking a pot-shot at you. Respect, and all that. To me, it's a bit like a work of modern art that, once hung on a wall, one can't tell if it's the right way up or not (or does that not matter..? :blush:).
[/quote]

That's a great question.

I don't think they ever do end, certainly for some of them.

I was talking to one of my tutors today, we were talking about revisiting stuff, and how when you listen back to something that you recorded, that's just a snapshot of that particular time. It's captured what you were thinking, what you were feeling and what you knew at that time. A month later you may be feeling different and thinking differently, and when you listen to it, you may want to change elements of it.

I've done that with a few of them, some though you just know are done, it's kind of funny. There are a few that I recorded over the summer, that I haven't touched, I listen to them now and think "where did that come from ?". They just sound 'complete', and they're there but I genuinely don't know where they came from.

This sort of music is a journey, when you write it, I get very deeply into it.

I have some that are going to be longer, and are going to be different.

I'm planning on recording ambient sounds, and playing over them. I want to go to a cathedral and other places, maybe an old castle or a museum, just sit and record then go home and loop it, and record whatever comes to mind.

The ambient sound of wherever will be on one track, you may not be able to discern what's there, but it will be there. Maybe like an EVP thing ?

[url="https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electronic_voice_phenomenon"]https://en.wikipedia...oice_phenomenon[/url]

Thought that's possibly a little scary, I have a very over active imagination, I may be a little worried in case I do record some ghostly voice 😊.

I'm also gonna get a tape to tape multitrack and do some analog recording.

:)

Edited by ambient

I find the "When composing and executing such pieces, how does one know when it's over?" question a fascinating one.

I'm currently working with another musician and a technologist that will result in a collaborative piece of music indeterminate in length. It'll always be running, the exact same motifs will never be heard together more than once and you, the listener will choose exactly when you start listening to the piece, for how long, and when you stop listening.

I find the philosophy and the basic technological challenges behind such projects fascinating. When complete, the results will be published on a dedicated web site.

This link will take you to a piece I recorded when these ideas started to form in my head a few years back. While it is indeterminate in a way, it does require manual intervention from the listener. You can decide which loop to play, when, where in the loop you'd like to start it and where in the loop you'd like to stop it.

http://eatsleeprepeat.com/minuspilots_menu_edit.html

[quote name='thebassist' timestamp='1417853553' post='2624522']
I find the "When composing and executing such pieces, how does one know when it's over?" question a fascinating one.

I'm currently working with another musician and a technologist that will result in a collaborative piece of music indeterminate in length. It'll always be running, the exact same motifs will never be heard together more than once and you, the listener will choose exactly when you start listening to the piece, for how long, and when you stop listening.

I find the philosophy and the basic technological challenges behind such projects fascinating. When complete, the results will be published on a dedicated web site.

This link will take you to a piece I recorded when these ideas started to form in my head a few years back. While it is indeterminate in a way, it does require manual intervention from the listener. You can decide which loop to play, when, where in the loop you'd like to start it and where in the loop you'd like to stop it.

[url="http://eatsleeprepeat.com/minuspilots_menu_edit.html"]http://eatsleeprepea..._menu_edit.html[/url]
[/quote]

What a seriously brilliant idea.

:)