Why become a member? ×

NBD - i finally succumbed to 5 string GAS

Number6

For me it's the fact that I dont need a 5 string, in fact I don't need any specific bass. My lot never notice when I change basses (luckily neither does the GF).
If I continue with 5 stings and feel like a change a 5 string Jazz is the only thing I would look at.
I'd love a 5 string jazz but one with vintage frets, so it's more likely to be something like a Lakland JO5 rather than a Fender.
I had a MIA P5 when they first came out and this has the same neck as the jazz, and although It felt comfortable my DJ5 that replaced it was so much easier to play.

I love the current versions of US jazz basses - the standards and the deluxe models are superb now. You still need to be careful of course but there is definitely better consistency with US Fenders.

I bought a US Standard Jazz 4 string last year, sold it, regretted it, then went back to the music shop where they had three US Standards in stock and none were as good as the one I sold. Thankfully I was able to buy the one I'd sold back :)

Edited by thebassist

[quote name='jassbass' timestamp='1419760820' post='2642418']
Ive found the dj5 and sandberg tt5 much better than a fender usa jazz 5.in my opinion I didnt like the fender b string
[/quote]
[quote name='thebassist' timestamp='1419769882' post='2642544']
Have you tried a Fender V with graphite truss rod? Far superior to the previous versions.
[/quote]
I thought the same then bought a new version USA JazzV and the B is great, I'm very happy with mine especially as I'd come across very few good ones when trying previously over the last ten years, 2008 onwards I believe is where the improved?