Why become a member? ×

Trace Elliot Twin Valve - adverts.ie

mattyb

The amp is fantastic, I gigged with one for years and it was the best sounding amp I ever owned, be a little wary though as they can be unreliable, I had to have mine serviced every other year and various bits needed replacing.....other than that it is heavy...boy it is heavy....and bear in mind mine was just the head in a flight case, Trace speaker cabs were never lightweight on their own so I imaging the combination together probably weighs about as much as a family car!

[quote name='pobrien_ie' timestamp='1417967630' post='2625542']
I used to own this exact amp!! I liked it, although didn't find it very versatile, and it weighed a tonne. I'm sure you'd get him down on that price, by at least €100 IIRC!!
[/quote]

That is tempting! The 4 or 5 hours travelling up and down is not though... When you say it wasn't very versatile, was it just always crunchy with only being 100 watts?

[quote name='mattyb' timestamp='1418115086' post='2626876']
That is tempting! The 4 or 5 hours travelling up and down is not though... When you say it wasn't very versatile, was it just always crunchy with only being 100 watts?
[/quote]

I'm definitely not an expert (or anywhere near it) on amps, but I just felt there wasn't a huge range of sounds available from it. I've always preferred Ampegs as well, so maybe I'm biased. Also, it's not on all tube amp, so it didn't have that classic tube sound.

Don't underestimate the weight of this thing. It was a pain to get around, even in it's flight case.

I'm sure he might be open to meeting you half way. He was a nice guy, and I remember he used to just go all over the country buying bass related bits.