Why become a member? ×

How not to sell a bass......

Mudpup

I've frequented several PMT stores over the years, Cambridge, Manchester, Brum, Northampton, that I can recall, and, apart from the 'let me slap the bejaysus outta that bass for 5 mins before I let you hold it' attitude which is prevalent anywhere nowadays I thought they were great, I've been allowed to pick my amp/cab combination from what is there, and been left to noodle for as long as I like. Only once did it not result in a sale, and that was when I realised how heavy a Tbird really is!

[quote name='Mudpup' timestamp='1417129643' post='2617460']
This is the second time its happened to me and in these times of independent shops fighting to survive against the internet giants it constantly surprises me how little effort some stores put into selling their products.

Roll back the clock about 3 years - its a significant birthday for me and i have some cash (£1500) to splash. Always wanted a Warwick Streamer so i hunt around and find one in a shop about an hours drive from me. I call the shop to check its ok to pop in and have a widdle on it a few days in advance. Turn up at allotted time and wander around for about 20 mins in the shop waiting for someone to say hello to me. I eventually give up and grab a bod to ask if its ok to plug the bass in. I am directed to a 15watt Ashdown combo and given a lead. The bass has 10 year old strings on it and a set up that you can drive a bus under and sounds crap. And the combo isnt working properly either. I politely ask if i could use a different amp and could they pop a new set of strings on it and give it a tweak so its playable to which they answer "not unless youre going to buy it".
Anyone spotted the flaw in this approach yet?
I go for a walk taking my dosh with me and buy something else a few days later.

Now to todays experience.

Saw a Musicman bass (think zingy, twangy, lively.......) on ebay that i was interested in - Xmas just round the corner - and its for sale in a shop thats in the way back from work.
Pop in, locate bass, ask politely etc........
2003 bass with the original strings on it again and in dire need of ten minutes with an allen key. Sounded like a rubber band.
Suffice to say, i dont have a nbd to report.

Is it just me being picky or do people just not know how to present a product to its best advantage?

No wonder theyre all going bust.......
[/quote]

I really don't get it either. Some people take the approach that the products speak for themselves. They will, if they're being presented in the best possible way. But some music shops seem to think it's enough that their staff are good at music, and that the presentation of the shop doesn't matter. Totally wrong, IMO. When you walk into a music shop, you're a customer just like you are at Tesco or any shop in any town, and you deserve at least the same standard of service and respect that you'd find in any shop. In fact, I'd say that small, independent shops should offer a much greater customer experience than large chains, because they need to go above and beyond to get and maintain customers.

Now, as for the chap not restringing the bass unless you were going to buy - What a moron. The immediate thought going through his head should have been "This guy's interested, and fair enough, that bass could do with a set of strings". We keep instruments on the shop wall purely for the purposes of display and testing out, and I will check the strings on a weekly if not daily basis (depends on how busy we are). If the strings are looking a bit dull, slap a new set on - any sale lost based on the sound of an instrument is worth far more than a set of strings. When you're talking about a £1500 bass, a £20 set of strings isn't going to hurt your profits.

[quote name='Mykesbass' timestamp='1417279428' post='2618815']
By the way @spacey, not sure what the exact figures are, but I'm afraid us bass players are WAY less than 25% of a guitar shop's custom.
[/quote]

IME, way less than that. An estimate of 5% would likely be generous. YMMV I suppose.

I've always had great service in the Bristol PMT store too. Although I had none of that "slap it for 5 mins myself" stuff. They've always handed me a bass, my choice of amp and left me to it. I even tell them that I's simply window shopping and shouldn't really try any basses and they still give me one to play with :)

I'm so glad I've only ever had good experiences, but then my local shops are 2 PMT stores (which always have a good rep) and a friendly local family-owned store, who'll do anything for you but are limited as they are exclusive Fender dealers, as far as instruments go. I'm also very glad I've never experienced any sexism. The stuff Bluejay experienced isn't so bad, but I've heard some terrible stories on other threads.

[quote name='mentalextra' timestamp='1417202463' post='2618240']
Yeah thats pretty bad, but when you're over 50yr you are not welcome in music shops. Seems to make young sales people very uncomfortable! :D
[/quote]

Absolutely not! And I never say to any customer "Is this for your son?". The diplomatic way is an inquisitive "Is it for yourself?" or "Who is it for?" if you aren't sure, but it's generally easy enough to spot if somebody is buying for themselves. IME, parents who want to buy for a kid, but haven't a clue, generally come over to you and say "I don't know if you can help me..." or "I'll tell you what I was wondering..." or something along those lines.

There's clearly a lot to be learned by music shops up and down the country.

[quote name='Bikenbass' timestamp='1417267871' post='2618710']
PMT in Norwich were very helpful. Let me try a bass in a small room, great TC combo to play through. No pressure to purchase, told them I was only window shopping.
Went back a couple of weeks later, bass was sold. The [b]Ibanez lined fretless is no longer in production[/b] but they found one in another of their stores and had it sent down. Wouldn't let me take it away until they'd checked it over.
Excellent service, recommended.
[/quote]

Do you mind me asking if that was the SR370F? Reason I ask is that I can't find any for sale anywhere - they all seem to be fretted ... did Ibanez discontinue them?

[quote name='Rubbishatbass' timestamp='1417295106' post='2618988']
Do you mind me asking if that was the SR370F? Reason I ask is that I can't find any for sale anywhere - they all seem to be fretted ... did Ibanez discontinue them?
[/quote]

Yes, that's the one. As far as I know, Ibanez discontinued it, why not give PMT a call? There web site says they have three in stock.

http://www.pmtonline.co.uk/ibanez-sr370-bass-guitar-brown-burst.html

(Sorry to derail the thread, back on topic.)

Thanks for the reply ...

I'm not convinced that IS the fretless - even though on that linked page it says MPN
SR370F-BBT

F being fretless of course ...

I can't see anywhere else where it is mentioned as being fretless ... which you'd have thought it would have said.

I might fire them off an email or ring them to check ... that photo if I had to bet on it, looks like a fretted bass as well ... :(

Anyway, what do you think of it having played one? Worth the money just to have a fretless on the wall?

Edited by Rubbishatbass

Lets face it it's not only music shops that have been guilty of poor service.

What about supermarket checkout operators that talk to their colleagues while throwing your shopping through the conveyer.

The bar staff that put ice in your whisky, even though you clearly said "on its own" and then get rude because you insist that they pour a fresh glass, not take the ice out.

The staff at Curry's that become invisible when you want help.

etc. etc.

[quote name='Rubbishatbass' timestamp='1417297200' post='2619011']
Thanks for the reply ...

I'm not convinced that IS the fretless - even though on that linked page it says MPN
SR370F-BBT

F being fretless of course ...

I can't see anywhere else where it is mentioned as being fretless ... which you'd have thought it would have said.

I might fire them off an email or ring them to check ... that photo if I had to bet on it, looks like a fretted bass as well ... :(

Anyway, what do you think of it having played one? Worth the money just to have a fretless on the wall?
[/quote]

Superb, it's my go to bass now. Light in weight, neck is similar to a Jazz (narrow), tone goes from deep and punchy to mwahful. But beware, if you're gigging and the pre amp battery goes flat, the bass falls silent, so always carry a couple of spares. However, in two months of playing it every day, the battery hasn't needed changing.

Pm me if you have any other questions, be glad to help. :)

Edited by Bikenbass