Why become a member? ×

Play of the Day : ‘Dance Until You Drop’, from Leonard Smalls...

Dad3353

[sharedmedia=core:attachments:177079]
[size=4] Good evening, all...[/size]
[size=4]I have decided to promote, each in turn, the compositions presented in the monthly BC Composition Challenge. I shall give my own, personal, view of the piece, in the hope that at least some will be inspired to give the work a listen, and perhaps a vote as their favourite. All the pieces can be heard here...[/size]

[size=4][url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/250039-november-composition-challenge-voting/"]BC November Composition Challenge voting...[/url][/size]

[size=4]... and the 'Play of the Day' here ...[/size]

[size=4][url="http://soundcloud.com/dredd-and-the-badass-weed/dance-until-you-drop"]‘Dance Until You Drop’, from Leonard Smalls...[/url][/size]

[size=4]A couple of deceptively gentle bongo bars, then an impressively regal brass fanfare welcomes us. The beat starts up; a solid kick and hi-hat/snare filled out with a swirling low-register bass. The backing vocals are promising, then the lyrics kick in; we are being hypnotisd into ignoring the onset of old age, as it's all in the mind. A suitable brass riff takes us to the chorus, in which the title of the piece is fully apparent. A bridge anounces the next rap verse, punctuated with short solos from the brass section, then the keys. The temperature rises a few degrees, as layers jostle for our attention, building up to a climax which releases itself in an echoing whirlpool fade-out.[/size]
[size=4]Completely in harmony with the photo, this work takes us on a journey, although I'm unsure as to the amount of tongue in cheek involved. The composition, arrangement and execution are of a very high standard, and interest is maintained from beginning to end. A coherent progression throughout, underpinned by the relentless but discreet percussion and bass. I'd have liked to distinguish better the lyrics, but that's perhaps my failing hearing..? Very good work, in any case.[/size]

[size=4]The previous review was...[/size]

[size=4][url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/250218-play-of-the-day-let-it-rip-from-plunger-moderno/"]Play of the Day : ‘Let It Rip’, from Plunger Moderno...[/url][/size]

[size=4]The next will feature [url="http://soundcloud.com/dreaded-ted/a-little-bit-of-disco"]‘A Little Bit of Disco’, from Lord Sausage...[/url][/size]

[size=4]Until then...[/size]

[size=4]Have a nice day[/size]

[size=4]Douglas [/size]

Edited by Dad3353

[size=4][quote name='pfretrock' timestamp='1417088694' post='2616921']
Bad links? Don't work for me....
[/quote]
[quote name='pfretrock' timestamp='1417090166' post='2616946']
Too much 'http' in the links!...
[/quote]

Links fixed, humble apologies; 'senior' moment..! Thanks for informing me. B)[/size]

Edited by Dad3353

[quote name='Dad3353' timestamp='1417088280' post='2616913']
[size=4]Completely in harmony with the photo, this work takes us on a journey, although I'm unsure as to the amount of tongue in cheek involved. The composition, arrangement and execution are of a very high standard, and interest is maintained from beginning to end. A coherent progression throughout, underpinned by the relentless but discreet percussion and bass. I'd have liked to distinguish better the lyrics, but that's perhaps my failing hearing..? Very good work, in any case.[/size]

[size=4]Douglas [/size]
[/quote]

Cheers Douglas - nice review as always!
Lyrics are partly tongue in cheek - as I'm afraid is most of what I do... And my "singing" doesn't help - you don't want to hear tto much of it!

[i]Being old is just a state of mind
Your mind is what you get
Being old is just your time of life
Your life is what you get

Dance until you drop etc

They say you can only be young once
Or be immature for ever
The idea is to die young late
Your life is now or never

Sanatogen, Zimmer Frame, National Express
I ain't got nuthin' 'gainst bein' old
But the Funk is the best

Tena Lady, Wagon R, No more fancy car

Cups of tea, Songs of Praise, worryin' 'bout achin' days

Dance until you drop

Hip op. don't stop, dance until you drop[/i]

Sorry!
:blush:

[quote name='Leonard Smalls' timestamp='1417094513' post='2617029']...
[i]Sanatogen, Zimmer Frame, National Express
I ain't got nuthin' 'gainst bein' old
But the Funk is the best...[/i]
[/quote]

[size=5]Cheers, Len; I'd never have captured all that. Very poetic. Just one small beef still, if you would..? Could you write just a little bit bigger for the hard of hearing among us..? Thanks in advance.[/size]

:lol:[size=4] :lol: :lol:[/size]