Why become a member? ×

Play of the Day : ‘Saturday Night Diva’, from Skol303...

Dad3353

[sharedmedia=core:attachments:177079]
[size=4] Good evening, all...[/size]
[size=4]I have decided to promote, each in turn, the compositions presented in the monthly BC Composition Challenge. I shall give my own, personal, view of the piece, in the hope that at least some will be inspired to give the work a listen, and perhaps a vote as their favourite. All the pieces can be heard here...[/size]

[size=4][url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/250039-november-composition-challenge-voting/"]BC November Composition Challenge voting...[/url][/size]

[size=4]... and the 'Play of the Day' here ...[/size]

[size=4][url="http://soundcloud.com/skollob/saturday-night-diva"]‘Saturday Night Diva’, from Skol303...[/url][/size]

[size=4]An authentic '80s drum fill, a 'cocotte' guitar, a warm brass riff or so and we're off. A pulsing mean bass heavily insists that we're unmistakenly on a dance floor. More of a narration than singing, entirely in keeping with the genre, describes with some dry humour and panache the microscopic world of disco in detail. There's a cheeky chorus line, ornamented with more hot brass; now the obligatory bass slap comes to the fore, luckily not for too long. Back to the matter in hand, recounting the pleasures of the evening's entertainment in the same relentless monotone; we sense a touch of sarcasm in the propos, rather than loyal praise. Right on cue, the chorus vocals remind us of the subject. The kiddy's voice, almost jeering, it seems, brings us to the fade to black. We sense that the riff could continue for much, much longer.[/size]
[size=4]No surprises here, we recognise immediately the parentage of this tongue-in cheek offering. No mean feat, though, to come up with enough of a 'twist'; the lyrics manage this handsomely. Quality production, and astute use of brass interludes and guitar work carry the whole exercise with conviction. I'm not sure that we're totally in phase with the photo, but we're quite definitely in the realms of D - I - S - C - O - O - O - O ...[/size]

[size=4]The previous review was...[/size]

[size=4][url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/250055-play-of-the-day-espiatriste-from-zenitram/"]Play of the Day : ‘Espiatriste’, from Zenitram...[/url][/size]

[size=4]The next will feature [url="http://soundcloud.com/lurksalot/dance-hall-shoop-1"]‘Dance Hall Shoop’, from lurksalot...[/url][/size]

[size=4]Until then...[/size]

[size=4]Have a nice day[/size]

[size=4]Douglas [/size]

[quote name='Dad3353' timestamp='1416905654' post='2614790']
An authentic '80s drum fill, a 'cocotte' guitar, a warm brass riff or so and we're off. A pulsing mean bass heavily insists that we're unmistakenly on a dance floor.... I'm not sure that we're totally in phase with the photo, but we're quite definitely in the realms of D - I - S - C - O - O - O - O ...[/quote]

I love these reviews and as usual, you're very kind mate!

You've also nailed the gist of it nicely. Cheers :)

[quote name='Geek99' timestamp='1416912963' post='2614877']
I liked it, well done Mr Skol - the P bass, was it ?
[/quote]

I did start recording this with the P-bass for 'authenticity'... but I found that I wanted some low notes, so I ended up using my Warwick 5-string - which I EQ'd to make it sound a bit like a Precision :D