Why become a member? ×

Scott Devine - Online Learning

DavidMcKay

• 1 month later...

I signed up to the forum before the academy started & when it had very few members, since the academy started I can no longer access the forum as it seems to be a perk now for the paying folk.
Don't get me wrong, I'm not at a loss but I think an email explaining that I'd no longer have access would've been appreciated.

[quote name='odyseus' timestamp='1421167055' post='2657939']
Hi Chaps :)
I've looked at a few of Scott Devines free videos but I was wondering if anyone has signed up to the Academy and taken the Begineers Bass Course???

Is it truly from scratch? Or are there better alternatives??

cheers

John
[/quote]
John - welcome to BC.
I'm fully paid up on SBL. It does go right from the beginning, and if you put the time in you'll find it valuable. It's probably the best out there if you're starting from scratch.

VideoBassLessons has some great jazz / advanced material. Some people prefer Janek's more succinct style.

Worth saying nothing beats a real live 1 on 1 teacher.

[quote name='odyseus' timestamp='1421167055' post='2657939']
Hi Chaps :)
I've looked at a few of Scott Devines free videos but I was wondering if anyone has signed up to the Academy and taken the Begineers Bass Course???

Is it truly from scratch? Or are there better alternatives??

cheers

John
[/quote]
There's a few people in this thread who are subscribers and Hecket's [url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/249946-scott-devine-online-learning/page__view__findpost__p__2612808"]post[/url] above describes doing the beginner's course, so perhaps you could PM him for greater detail.

No video lessons, but http://www.studybass.com is completely free and very good for beginners.

[quote name='odyseus' timestamp='1421251302' post='2658966']
I guess there's no harm signing up for the trial, before parting with the $168 years fee??
[/quote]

That's what I did. I'm still there too, so is Hecket and a good number of others.

There are a good number of videos other than the FOC ones. In fact the FOC ones are useless compared to the paid-for content, there really is little similarity.

Courses you get included already are:[list]
[*]The Definitive Beginners Guide to Bass Guitar - 4.4 hours
[*]Essential Groove Techniques - 1 hour
[*]Technique Deep Dive for Bass - 2 hours
[*]The Essential Bass Maintenance & Set-up Guide - 2.20 hrs
[*]Harmonic Layering – Arpeggios, Chord Tones & Scales. - 10+ hours (being added to)
[*]Playing Chords on Bass Guitar – The Definitive Guide - 2.3 hours
[/list]
This list is still growing. Plus you get all the stuff Hecket posted about.

We had a live Q&A with Todd Johnson last night. [url="http://www.toddjohnsonmusic.com/"]http://www.toddjohnsonmusic.com/[/url]

The courses all run at YOUR speed too - so you can take as long as you want, or go faster if you can.

If you can get all that from a 1-2-1 teacher for £100 a year, or $168 then you're doing really well.

See you there.

Rich

Edited by Grangur

Richard, don't forget the direct feedback you can get from Scott too, either from asking a question in the live Bass Hangs or by submitting your video for him to look at in "Feedback Friday".

I'm a beginner. The beginner's course is just fine for a raw beginner and I'm finding plenty to do in the monthly challenges and watching old bass hangs and Q&A sessions (each session is recorded with a list of questions asked put up with it). Support from others helps a lot. I don't think there's a feeling of "this is for beginners, this is for advanced" etc, it's more a matter of how you can break down each lesson to fit your needs and how much time you need to put into it in order to progress. Online learning requires a lot of motivation and initiative and you get what you give. It's perfectly possible for a beginner to enjoy SBL, as long as you know what your goals are (large and small), what your practice needs are and accept that you have a long, long road ahead of you :)