Why become a member? ×

Warwick Dolphin Pro 2 body recommendations

72deluxe

[quote name='4000' timestamp='1416573901' post='2611592']
I had a black Jap one which I sold to a friend. Great bass;[b] I actually preferred it to all but one (my '91 Dolphin Pro 1) of the Warwicks I've owned[/b]. It was miles better than the '96 Pro 1 I had, and probably one of my favourite basses that I've ever owned. I occasionally try and buy it back, but without success (he loves it and gets a tremendous tone out of it, better than I ever did).
[/quote]

I'm in agreement with you on this. I wouldn't say it is better than all of the Warwicks that I have owned (...cos that's an awful lot of Warwicks) but I will be keeping my Pro II in preference to a lot/most other basses and oddly enough it is the cheapest Warwick that I have ever owned!

As to the jazz tone question; probably not. The rear pup is so far back on the Pro II that you can't reproduce the Jazz tone but the tone it does produce is great and is just 'Pro II' tone!

• 1 month later...

OK, some updates. I asked around for some prices but will have to hold off until I've got some more funds. I am unsure whether to get the work done because it isn't tooooo badly beaten up. One thing I will have to do is change the hardware to all matching I think, but funds must rise first.

I haven't even changed the strings or cleaned it yet but the sound is nothing like any of the other Warwicks that I have! It's great! The bridge pickup leads to a really really thin raspy tone but given a bass boost on the preamp, it can be made to sing.

In case you are interested in the variety of sounds, I posted a video demo of it in a topic here ([url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/251996-warwick-dolphin-pro-ii-demo/"]http://basschat.co.uk/topic/251996-warwick-dolphin-pro-ii-demo/[/url])
I play too many notes, I know. It's not like that in a band, I promise.