Why become a member? ×

How do you value a bass that is not quite.. erm.. original?

Si-Fi

I have a Squier JV jazz bass, (JV42....) I bought I from a studio a few years ago, I used to play it but now gets little use as I tend to play my Precision or my EUB. It came with a Tokai oldies but goldies lined fretless neck which I still have, I have since had a licenced precision neck fitted not long ago. Pickups had poor output when bought it so I replaced with Seymour Duncan vintage jazzes. I was possibly thinking of moving it on to raise funds for a backup precision. I,m just not sure of what it maybe worth. Any advice would be welcome. Thanks. Simon.

I'd just play it straight as you've described... It sounds like its had good quality parts including Duncans.. If the work's been done well, if plays well and has a good tone, then that's fine. So it's a mongrel with a good pedigree...

Just don't bill it as something it's not.

Fair enough Visog and thanks, maybe if I take the value of a JV.....half it and add on parts value that may give me a realistic value, like most things in life, it,s only worth what someone is willing to pay. Aye, it does play well, I put some roto tru bass strings on and if i remember it does nail that jazz bass sound very well. Maybe I should try playing it again! Cheers.

Your method of pricing may prove a little optimistic IMHO. Much of what makes the JVs desirable is that they were fairly accurate reproductions of pre-CBS Fenders. What you have now is effectively a JV body minus the pickups, and in some people's minds it will be a bitsa.

If you're looking to get the most possible for your bass you may well do better to part it out.

I have to admit when I posted this I sort of thought that and went damn I hadn,t maybe thought that out properly! so good call Musky and for the advice on breaking down parts. Maybe that is the way to go as i could put the pickups in my Status which i miss playing very much. Thanks,I shall mull it over,there maybe a JV jazz body and a couple of necks for sale at some point. Cheers.