Why become a member? ×

SOLD - Various preamps
£75

stevie

I went through a period of trying difference preamp/power amp combinations, finally ending up with a Behringer parametric equaliser (and a Carvin power amp). I have two of the Behringers, which is a bit silly, and I also have some other preamps that I don't use any more. Read on.

[u][b][size=5][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Behringer Ultra-Q Pro PEQ 2200 Parametric Equaliser[/font][/size][/b][/u]

I got turned on to this preamp after using a TC Electronics bass preamp, which was exactly the same as their parametric equaliser but with 'Bass Preamplifier' screen-printed on the front. When I tried to get another one after foolishly selling it, I discovered that they can go for silly money. However, this Behringer is just as good, and costs a lot less.

It has five separate bands of eq, each with adjustable width and depth. There's a defeat switch for each band as well as an overall eq defeat switch. It offers more equalisation options than you will ever need in a lifetime of bass playing, plus variable low pass and high pass controls to cut out rumble and hiss. Inputs are balanced or non-balanced - the bass plugs straight in - and outputs are also balanced or non-balanced. I've used it to drive a pro power amp, in my effects loop, or as an effects pedal in front of a bass amp. I've not done it personally, but as there are two balanced outputs, you should be able to use one to drive your power amp and the other as a DI out.

It's quiet and transparent, and can obviously be used for PA or recording. I'm keeping my second one but you can have this for £45.

[u][b][size=5]Studiospares Preamp/DI 458190[/size][/b][/u]

If this had Aguilar printed on the front, it would cost another £100. The Studiospares preamp is an active DI box with a fully featured preamp section that works wonderfully for bass. I hear it is also good for mics as it appears to be popular with the recording fraternity as a mic preamp.

Anyway, as a bass preamp, it has bass, treble and midrange controls, plus a handy notch filter that you can adjust between 100 and 350Hz. There's also a 'Shape' button that does the Trace Elliot thing. Two separate inputs with their own volume controls, effects loop, balanced and unbalanced out. Powered by a 9V battery or power supply (neither of which will be supplied). Metal case. Very good condition. £20.

[size=5][u][b]Behringer PB100 Preamp Booster[/b][/u][/size]

This was designed as a boost pedal for guitarists, but it works surprisingly well as a no-frills bass preamp. It can easily drive a power amp and has Bass, Treble and Gain controls to let you to tailor your sound. It's transparent and quiet. This one is as-new and comes in its original box. £10.

I'll post any of these at cost.

Edited by stevie