Why become a member? ×

How much should I pay for a P?

Painy

I'm shocked mate !...never thought I'd see the day "painey and a p bass "!!!...I borrowed a American std for a day ,..hated it
But saying that I do gig that aria gt I got cheap quite often but saying that the pup configuration is nothing like the typical p bass sound ..
It's for sale for £100.00 ;)

[quote name='patrikmarky' timestamp='1415433281' post='2600213']
I'm shocked mate !...never thought I'd see the day "painey and a p bass "!!!...I borrowed a American std for a day ,..hated it
But saying that I do gig that aria gt I got cheap quite often but saying that the pup configuration is nothing like the typical p bass sound ..
It's for sale for £100.00 ;)
[/quote]

I know it's weird! For some reason though I can't get the idea out of my head now.
I never did get to see the end result of your home relic job on that Aria. How'd it turn out?

Ha, I felt much like you for a long time too. Partly because the first bass I ever had in my hands was a terrible terrible Precision, and partly because... I don't know, I just didn't like the sound.
I have discovered, however, that I NOW love a good Precision. I just got a Fender Classic 50 Precision and I haven't played anything else since I got it. Somehow it's quite different to any other cheaper Precisions I've tried and owned, but I also like it a lot more than my friend's 70s Precision. So... maybe you should try a few before you decide to shoot for one that just leaves you "meh". A nice Precision is truly a beautiful thing.

Funnily, however, the next best one was a very cheap Squier Precision, the Mike Dirnt model that I bought used for £115 including a small practice amp (long gone now). The neck is slim, for those who prefer slimmer necks - I don't - and it's light... and it just feels and sounds surprisingly good once set up properly. It will not make shadow over the Classic 50, but it's a pretty decent bass for silly money. Still, do try a few and don't afraid to try slightly more expensive ones, you might be surprised, like I was.

[quote name='Painy' timestamp='1415445671' post='2600378']

I know it's weird! For some reason though I can't get the idea out of my head now.
I never did get to see the end result of your home relic job on that Aria. How'd it turn out?
[/quote]
Quite pleased with it mate ...wouldn't dare try on anything more expensive ...

[quote name='cameltoe' timestamp='1415023121' post='2595717']
+1 for CV
[/quote]

Oh yes agreed - Carol is still gorgeous in spite of minor flirtation with the Conservative Party....... Rachel Riley's not bad as well ............. note to self - must get out a little more, especially in the afternoons!

[quote name='dannybuoy' timestamp='1415102409' post='2596620']
They are 30p but if you are in a hurry and don't have the correct change you can go for free by just pulling the turnstile towards you just enough to pass through (and I'm not small)!

:secret:
[/quote]

That could be a little dangerous in my case - invariably offloading 30p for a P at a major terminal is absolute desperation so the thought of squeezing through in such circumstances is unthinkable .........

Edited by drTStingray

To the subject of the venerable old Precision bass - in some cases less venerable.

The real cheap ones such as JHS, Squier or Encore can certainly get a nice P bass sound at lower volumes and recorded. However these are entry level basses although Squier make the slightly better CV and VM.

My view is the Mexican P bass sounds rather good of the genre and reasonably priced.

I once tried loads of new and used ones back to back and the best of the bunch (nice and woody sounding) was a new 50th Anniversary one. It was certainly better than a couple of old 70s ones to my ears.

I guess a good used American Standard or if you want to spend more money, Custom Shop would be good also - but entirely depends how much money you want to spend.

If it was me I'd go Mexican or used American standard.