Why become a member? ×

Replace Pickups in Spector Legend 4 Classic?

discreet

[b]Replace Pickups in Spector Legend 4 Classic?[/b]

Lots of people are happy with their Legends but will upgrade the performance of these basses to Euro spec and above by judicious choice of pickups and preamp... but I suppose I'm asking two questions, really:

1. With which pickups/preamp would you replace the stock EMG-SSDs and Tonepump Jr fitted to the Legend 4? and;

2. Given that I use a Zoom B1on as a preamp for my core tones, is it even worth considering an upgrade?

Loving the way my Legend plays... but it has only served to generate more Spector GAS, not less!! :blink:

Edited by discreet

[quote name='CamdenRob' timestamp='1415026205' post='2595772']
I was pretty happy with the stock pickups in my legend... Good basses though aren't they, the fit and finish on mine was flawless.
[/quote]

Surprisingly good. Incredible finish and build quality... a real bargain. I may get another just as backup. Though I'm thinking maybe leave well alone as regards upgrading... as I'm using a B1on for much of the time will any pickup change be too subtle to make a big difference in the real world, i.e. the racket of live performance?

I did consider upgrading mine as I loved the playability, but decided against it in the end as I thought the tonepump Jr was a decent enough preamp anyway. I just used to have the bass up full and a slight roll off of the treble.

I've not much experience of the higher end spectors - but if the legend I had was anything to go by I'd imagin they're pretty spectacular.

What colour is yours? I had the slate grey one.

Edited by CamdenRob

[quote name='CamdenRob' timestamp='1415027533' post='2595806']
I've not much experience of the higher end spectors - but if the legend I had was anything to go by I'd imagine they're pretty spectacular. What colour is yours? I had the slate grey one.
[/quote]

Yes, the USA- and Czech-built Spectors must be pretty amazing to justify those prices. But IME the Korean Legend is comparable to any good mid-range bass and the RRP isn't exactly low-budget. Impressed! I may grab another before the second-hand price goes up!

I have the slate grey too, but have one or two thoughts about that... :)

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1415025865' post='2595764']
Ah-ha, a reply!! Is this the 4-pot BQC preamp?
[/quote]
I don't know what it was called, it was 2 volumes, stacked bass and treble and a separate mid. It is a 5er and is currently on holiday, with a friend who wants to buy it but is skint :(